M8 Scabbard on ebay

SKIPH

Caught the tail end of an auction last night, that really caught my eye. Item # 370743365810. It was a mint early M8 scabbard. What caught my eye was the bid, $137. Have I missed something? That seems high. Now I take my hat off to the seller, he did well. But, that amount is out there in my opinion. I'm I that far out of the net? SKIP

It does seem to be an exceptionally good piece. It is hard to find one in original configuration. Safe to say that more than one bidder was very interested in it.

I have very seldom seen an M8 with the khaki frog-let alone a mint one like this. I'm suprised it didn't go for more. Perhaps if the seller had been willing to ship it to Europe, it might have gone for much more.

No doubt the scabbard is great. It just seems like a bunch of money for an M8 even an early one. In December I paid $150 for a mint Utica M3 w/ mint M8A1 scabbard. That was a deal. Maybe I'm not following the cost of M8s close enough. SKIP

This brings up a question: I don't know much about the various models of the M8, is there an internet reference available that you can recommend?

Thanks,

Jim

I think if I had held that scabbard in my hands I would have been willing to pay that for it. I think I see more mint m6's than mint first pattern m8's

As someone who likes collectables in a "used but not abused" condition, I can't see bidding that high for an original M8 scabbard even if in mint condition (and it is nice). On the other hand, I don't begrudge those who want mint items in their colletion (I do have a couple of knives and scabbards that are best described as "near mint").

My original M8 unaltered scabbard (I have several more, but they've all had the hooks sewn in the khaki hanger and then removed or fell off because of poor stiching) is a B - N over 4 (no top number) fits my "used but not abused" standard along with it having the soldiers original leather tie still on the scabbard.

I'll also note that those in near mint conditon are not all that rare and have come up on ebay regularly.