M-43 Shovel - How To Safely Loosen Siezed Collar

69Stinger

I have a M43 shovel in real nice shape except for a seized collar. Since the original paint is so nice, I don't want to use any harsh chemicals to try to loosen the collar and definitely don't want to clamp down a pair of vise grips and destroy the collar teeth. Anyone have any luck with breaking these loose without damaging the shovel? Someone said naval jelly but I don't know if that will remove paint. Any ideas?? Thanks

I find that a good soaking with WD40 will often loosen frozen nuts/bolts etc. Give it a good spray, let it stand while, wrap a rag around the collar it to protect it and gently ease it with an adjustable wrench if regular "muscle power" won't work!

I would try Wd40 or something similiar.WD40 is a petroleum based product and may effect the paint .We also use Bio Max here at work.Its a non petroleum based penetrating oil and is biodegradable.its manufactured by CENEX.Safe to use on a lot of things and even firarms.Another produvt id evapo rust but in most cases you will need to imerse the item as its a bio friendly rust remover for soaking items.Not sure what it would do tot he paint.

WD-40 had a little tube so you could just spray it inside the collar. After it soaks awhile tap it with a rubber mallet or pad it and tap with a hammer and spray some more in. If you can't turn it by hand wrap a rag around and use a pump wrench on it.

I agree with any of the above suggestions, and will add another option... Break-free... It's what the military uses to clean and lubricate weapons... I think you can get it in small bottles or a small spray can with one of those red tubes to direct the stream where you need it... just drop a few drops around the collar and let it seep down into the threads... if you do use another tool to help break the grip of the rust, use a rag or other material between the collar and the tool to avoid leaving tool marks on the collar.