Sergeant Elvis Aaron Presley, USA.

Sabrejet

I know this will REALLY date me and I am sure there are some people on the forum that will not have a clue about what I am talking about. :w00t:

I was at my grandmother's house, she lived next door, talking to my girlfriend on the phone, when I heard a click, my mom had picked up the phone at home, all the people around us were on a party line!!! She told me about it that away. We had seen him in concert the summer before he died and she was devestated.

Man am I old. :crying:

I clearly remember the great pride most of us had when Elvis entered service. It said a lot about him as a person and an American. The act endeared him to millions who had not admired him nearly so much the day before.

And, this stands in great contrast against the conduct of certain other super celebrities who, when given the same opportunity to sacrifice for their homeland, elected to do otherwise and who, likewise, will never be forgotten.

Photos from:

http://www.findingdulcinea.com

post-3976-1345133659.jpeg

I was at RAF scampton with the ATC in the middle of a game of pool when the news broke. Later when I got home my mum had to tell me that my dog [ No his name was not old shep] had been put to sleep on the day Elvis died. Happy Days !

Graham

• 4 weeks later...
army pilot_1967

I was still on active duty and was traveling to my home in Florida and had stopped to visit my brother at Fort Polk. I think my wife and I had traveled through Memphis the day before Elvis died, and when we heard the news the following day I was both shocked and devastated. My wife said I acted as if I had lost a brother, and in a way I felt that I had. Not that I had ever seen Elvis in concert, but he became popular while I was in junior high school...he was in a major rivalry with Pat Boone. Pat Boone was clean-cut, all American boy, and Elvis was a hip-shaking bad boy according to a lot of parents. I always liked Elvis, he was a tremendous singer and seemed to be humble and modest. Heck, it took me a long time to get over his death, it was like losing a family member.

• 2 weeks later...