USMC Helmet Covers with Diamond EGA patch

shrapneldude

shrapneldude
I have not come across any "loose" ones, however the EGA iron-stencil is still readily available as surplus, as they were used up until the late 1990's. I still remember ironing mine on at OCS. It wouldn't be tough to find some leftover material and make your own if you wanted one.

S/F,

Mike

Not really what i was talking about. Anyone could conceivably fabricate these, sure but making your own sort of defeats the purpose of collecting. No, I was just wondering if there was any old stock supply of these diamond patches that never found their way onto helmet covers. Also, the iron-on EGA's were used up to the early 00's.

I'd really like to get a copy of the Marine Corps Supply Bulletin referenced in the Gazette.

Gunbunny - thank you for posting your patch. :thumbsup:

usmcaviator
Not really what i was talking about. Anyone could conceivably fabricate these, sure but making your own sort of defeats the purpose of collecting. No, I was just wondering if there was any old stock supply of these diamond patches that never found their way onto helmet covers. Also, the iron-on EGA's were used up to the early 00's.

I'd really like to get a copy of the Marine Corps Supply Bulletin referenced in the Gazette.

Gunbunny - thank you for posting your patch. :thumbsup:

Shrapdude,

I think the point I was getting to was that you wouldnt be able to tell one that was made yesterday and one that was made 40 years ago.

S/F,

Mike

shrapneldude
Shrapdude,

I think the point I was getting to was that you wouldnt be able to tell one that was made yesterday and one that was made 40 years ago.

S/F,

Mike

Fair enough.

The Gazette kind of made it sound like these were produced separately and in the supply system for issue rather than something that would be manufactured locally, though to your point, it would have been just as easily done one way as the other. Knowing what we do about the Marine Corps, I just wonder if they didn't pay some contractor somewhere to create these diamond patches by the thousands.

WW2collector97

Very nice document you have there. We have always wondered about these covers, but now we know! Now I just need to find one on eBay... :whistling:

-Timothy

Greetings: Here is my "diamond EGA patch" cover with what appears to be captains bars applied with medical tape.(not sure). As mentioned by sharpneldude, this pattern has the "diamond"on both the green and brown side. Very informative thread.

Best Regards

Zeke

post-10804-1335757532.jpg

Just curious - have any patch collectors on the forum ever come across these diamond patches "loose" i.e. not sewn to a helmet cover?

Yes.....I found a small bundle of these at a surplus store in Memphis probably 15 years ago. I think there were 6 patches and all had the edges folded and sewn so all one had to do is simply sew it to a helmet cover. I had a binder with at least $10,000.00 worth of airborne, special forces, AAF Squadron patches and many others as well as these USMC patches. A life long collection. Took it to the Memphis Military Collectors Club to show a friend something he wanted to see. While in an adjacent room for the nights program someone stole my collection.

That was the only time I've ever seen any of those outside a Militaria Show.

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This is an original first pattern WWII USMC cover that has both the early ega stenciled directly onto the cover and the later ega stenciled on a 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" square that is sewn on both the brown and green side at a cant. Both the earlier and the later ega on the green side are visible (note that the sewn on ega is positioned lower). The later ega on the brown side was sewn directly over the earlier stenciled ega (note that it is sewn higher than the one on the green side).

post-2910-0-00966000-1365098309.jpg

post-2910-0-78955300-1365098316.jpg

combat-helmets

I'm glad you resurrected this thread Grunt ( and almost a year ago too)! I missed this the first time around. I have a weak spot for the USMC covers, and have expanded on that quite a bit lately. In regards to these diamond patch covers, I never gave them much thought. I never knew they were "regulation" issue. I thought they were field produced, and therefore never really had an eye on grabbing any. Of course I'm in the process of getting one now, and I would love to get a Mitchell Pattern one. So I have my eyes open and feelers out!

• 6 months later...

Jba1973,

Thanks for bringing this thread to the surface again. I can't tell you how many of the "WWII USMC" helmets I have seen at shows lately. When you try to discretely correct the error with the vendor they tell you to go pound sand. This is a perfect reference to set folks straight.

I have not come across any "loose" ones, however the EGA iron-stencil is still readily available as surplus, as they were used up until the late 1990's. I still remember ironing mine on at OCS. It wouldn't be tough to find some leftover material and make your own if you wanted one.

S/F,

Mike

Yes I found a small bundle of these at a surplus store in Memphis bout 15 years ago. I placed them in my binder of special forces and airborne patch collection. Then the binder was stolen at the Memphis Military Collectors Club.

Sorry for the late response. Here is my "diamond EGA patch" cover. It is a 2nd pattern (holes in the flaps) and in excellent condition.

I love these covers.

Unfortunately it is the only one in my collection.

post-63438-0-49203000-1384014061.jpg

The ever elusive diamond patch cover.

I know what you mean.

It took me a while but I got a really nice one and a great deal.

When you least expect it, it will happen for you.

• 3 months later...

I pulled the trigger on this today. Everything looks good to me, but let me know if I screwed up! Bryan.

Looks good. If I saw it I would have brought it. Let me know if you ever want to sell it ;)