US Army/USMC Impressions 1938 - 1968

dadwasajarhead

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
dadwasajarhead

This latest kit is my impression of a US Cavalry Sergeant from the 1890 Wounded Knee Battle.  Regardless of the modern political conclusions concerning the affair as an "action" or "massacre" it was the individual combatants that had to deal with the nightmarish outcome.  What started out as a peaceful spiritual "Ghost Dance" ended with dozens of dead and wounded lying in the freezing cold.  On the other hand, troopers (like this Sergeant) that campaigned with General Miles in the winter of 1877 knew terrible hardships pursuing an elusive, highly skilled, indigenous guerilla enemy that moved as silently as the wind. 

Frustrated by the miserable failure of superior firepower to prevail over superior connection to the land, the Army ordered all Sioux to return to the reservation or be considered hostile.  To the public, the few times that the Army caught the enemy in the open could, in no small measure, settle the score for the innumerable times settlers were murdered and tortured by war parties.  The Army did what they could: with a much-reduced post-Civil War budget, troopers that were more often than not; ex-convicts, non-English speaking European immigrants, alcoholics, or chronically unemployed.  Riding until their mounts died from starvation and exposure, the cavalryman often found himself walking (or staggering) well beyond his supply train.  Eating what little game the land could provide, or the very mounts that they were trained to work with, as close as any man and animal could bond.  One trooper commented: "It felt like cannibalism".  A host of Hollywood farces like "F-Troup" have gently euphemized the entire era.  In eerie prophesy of modern brush wars General Sheridan concluded that the only way to fight this guerilla enemy was to destroy: the community, culture, and families; that fed, clothed, and housed the warriors; their wives, parents, and children.  This ugly face of war will always be the one that the history books tend to ignore.

The fine details of the impression are as follows: Handgun is Smith & Wesson No. 3 American (Schofield) Model 1877, Carbine is Springfield Model 1884 in .45-55 caliber.  The overcoat is Model 1885.  The yellow lining was first applied to cavalry overcoats in 1880.  In 1884 the overcoat and cape were detachable so that they could be dried separately.  In 1885 the exterior color of both the cape and the overcoat were changed to royal blue.  In 1887 the color of both the cavalry overcoat lining and service stripes were changed to a dark yellow.  The cartridge belt is the 1880 Mills 50-round, in natural-colored canvas loops, that are woven into the body of the belt.  An 1880 Hospital Knife is also attached to the belt.  Finally, the Muskrat Cap was found on Etsy from Canada.  I would estimate the origin to be from the 1950s.  The design is true to 19th century traditional construction.

Thanks for your consideration, and listening to my soapbox drivel,

Steve (dadwasajarhead) Speer

WoundedKneeFront.JPG.61af908385b16bdb4f71883ad1c4cef8.JPGimage.png.2a994815331f5eb8833aac1d0243486c.png

• 2 weeks later...

Magnificent displays! I am always looking for pages like this showing the equipment and how it would be worn by the soldiers, ready for battle. I will say, I use this information for an odd hobby of mine, so you including the "About Face" photos as well really help with that. I hope that you post more!

• 4 weeks later...
dadwasajarhead

Hello Islaygrat27,

I have many more impressions coming.  My “bucket list” holds 16 more for a total of 65 distinct Military Operations Specialties.  The (MOS) is a modern term that is possibly the best term to describe my impressions.  The next impression is the P1889 tropical uniform.  This was the white canvas version of the nutmeg stable frock worn by the Rough Riders in Cuba, in the Spanish-American War.  This impression includes the white sun helmet.