WWI Iodine?

MarcHermann

Greetings!

Can anyone post a sample of the iodine swab used during WWI and/or its box of six as specified for carriage in the medic's belt? I've seen British examples that are glass ampules, and civilian examples that are similar to the WWII version, with a piece of cotton webbing to act as the swab attached to the tube. Looking for a solid example of how it would be carried by the AEF medic, though.

Thanks!

-Marc A. Hermann

I don't have a picture to post but I have seen in multiple fairly complete WW1 kits the boxes of iodine swabs included. They are basically identical to the WW2 boxes. As I recall there are no military markings on the boxes. They are commercial but I can't recall the brand. It might have been Woods or something similar. Maybe bumping this back up will help.

RelicHunter99
Forum member trenchbuff posted his completed medical belt.Its an outstanding example and the only complete one I have seen.Here is the link

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=129501&hl=

That's the officers belt, which is gorgeous.

The iodine was also carried by enlisted men for their hospital corps belt. Ron Leverenz of Doughboy Military Collectibles did a great article on both of these belts and has a wonderful complete enlisted belt.

The iodine is indeed commercial in appearance and for WW1 seem to be made only by two companies: Bauer & Black and Young's. The enlisted belt was to have two boxes of six swabs each in the second pocket.

• 1 year later...

Hi Marc,

The Bauer & Black iodine swab look like this

da5z.jpg

I have two boxes of six. Indeed, there are no military markings. One of them was bought at an online auction and the seller informed me it had belonged to a family member that was in the Medical Corps at Camp Merritt, N.J., in WWI.

Petermedic