WW1 MARINE PILOT SERVICE DRESS VISOR

Belleauwood

Many know that WW1 Marine Aviation is my (corps), core, focus in my collecting and research. Seldom if ever do things come my way, due the the scarcity of material available. Even more difficult is to find an article from a pilot that served in the same group of pilots as one already in your collection. This Marine's uniform group is believed to have been split up at auction in December, 2011. - A very good friend and fellow forum member, bid on the group but was only able to secure the visor. I understand it is hard to following the auction when you a deployed in Afghanistan. - He has been kind enough to offer this great hat to me to put alongside a squadron mate of 90 years ago. Both were assigned to the British. - One was fortunate (termed used lightly) to be attached to 218 Squadron, while Maco Stewart Jr.; to whom this visor belonged, was serving in a British Aviation "pool" awaiting assignment due to lack of available aircraft.

Now begins the quest to locate the buyer of what was probably his uniform.

Maco Stewart was a Texan of much renown and probably one of the most interesting men of any, in his era. Research will be posted later. This is all for now. There is simply too much information for me to put up today.

Maco Stewart Jr.

Naval Aviator #778 - USMC Serial No. 03396

Born in Galveston Texas Oct 28, 1896 - University of Texas - Pre-Law - Enrolled 2nd Lt. (Marine Corps Reserve) Houston, Tx August 6, 1917 - Transferred to USMC Quantico, Sept 19, 1917 - Marine Barracks in Philadelphia January 1918. Naval Aviator (Heavier than Air) at Miami April 4, 1918 - France with the FMAF (First Marine Aviation Force) in July 1918 and assigned to Field "D" in Oye, France for duty with the "Day Wing" of the Northern Bombing Group. Detached to British Aviation pool as Captain (some difference here in records) with various duties. Some suggestions with British Headquarters. - In hospital for the last half of October 1918 and have not confirmed if he ever flew a mission. Hopefully his records will shed some light on this. Hope you enjoy.

Dennis

post-3422-1327847733.jpg

D,

Looking good, sorry you had to be the one to straighten her up. But it looks like you had no problems. It polished up to be an outstanding gem. Figured it best it wasnt sent out here first.

All,

The uniform was sold with a bunch of other WW1 Army aviation uniforms and had the same pattern-type collar EGAs as the hat. As the hat was not named in the auction, I am suspecting that the WW1 USMC uniform with wings might have been its match. Pretty sure it was. Please contact Dennis if you happen to know of the uniform or who may have purchased the lot.

D,

Good luck on this one brother. I think you stand a pretty good chance at finding it with your post.

Semper Fi!

Mike

Mike and all,

Thank you Mike, it's beginning to straighten out pretty well.

Mark, Forrest green for sure - Flash most likely