101st Airborne uniforms on ebay

Cpl LaBonte

The jackets themselves are fine, but I really have my doubts about the 101st SSI, especially the one on the officer's jacket.

In order to provide some of the more novice collectors, I'll provide a little more info here. I've taken the liberty of attaching the photos of the two patches in question as these types of threads are worthless without photos and as soon as the links are gone, so are the photos.

101st Airborne uniforms are among the most frequently faked uniforms out there. The unit has become even more popular over the years as "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" received mainstream acclaim. Additionally, Mark Bando's "Trigger Time" website, which is 100% dedicated to the 101st in WWII makes learning about the unit much easier than other divisions. One of Bando's projects between writing histories was to catalog the SSI's of the 101st. While his classification system can be confusing at times, it is very detailed and covers just about any type of eagle patch from any era. This is an important tool for collectors to use when looking at jackets like the ones on eBay.

Collecting 101st items is a real minefield as it isn't just a case of people using original insignia to fake a uniform. There is probably more 101st oriented insignia faked out there than any other uniform. The shoulder patches, pocket patches, numbered brass, ovals etc. are all remade. Some of it is REALLY good.

I'll start with the officer's jacket. Without getting into comments about the way it is sewn to the uniform, let's just look at the patch itself. The SSI is one that Bando has classified as a post-WWII shoulder patch.

The patch on the enlisted jacket is another story. This patch is undoubtedly an out and out fake. The patch design apes the pattern of some of the English-made patches. The design has also been embroidered by a computer programmed machine. Adding the fact that you don't encounter WWII 101st SSI's embroidered on twill, this patch should be setting off all of the alarm bells in one's head.

Allan

post-151-1326549076.jpg

post-151-1326549092.jpg

carbinephalen

Awesome reply and truly helpful Allan! Thanks for your insight! :thumbsup:

I saw these two listed and immediately passed on both of them ESPECIALLY after seeing the patch on the EM's jacket being offered. I sure am glad people aren't out there actively "faking" uniforms for the Division I collect...and I hope that day never comes.

Go to any collectors' show here in the UK and I guarantee you'll see rails of WW2 US uniforms among which are always a smattering of alleged 101st / 82nds. How many are "original"? Very few, if any! The jackets will be original as is the collar brass etc....but almost certainly not original to the jackets! Why? Because the airborne thing almost sells itself. I think I've seen more 101/82 uniforms than there ever were men to wear them in WW2! As always...caveat emptor!!

Those 101st A.B Patche's Sure have been all added to those Original Uniforms the Officers 4 Pocket Dress Uniform aswell it's Plain & Simple

And the Dead Give away is the E.M 4 Pocket Dress Uniform Also! :thumbdown: and that 101st Patch Isn't even an Original Patch that have been added

to the Enlisted Man's Uniform all added thinking they will make a Fortune its all about Greed for Money and Profit at the End of the Day they dont care who they Sell those put together Uniforms to! Sad but Very True..

As Allan stated Very Well and Explained that Mark Bando has it all covered on the Different Types of 101st A.B Div Patches in a Book that were Manafactured During the War Years as the Scribble Eyes were classed as to be Post WWII as they could easly have used Old Thread to add those Patches to those Uniforms so that it Dosent even Glow under a (U.V Light).

And also as Ian Stated very well Buyer Beware !! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the quick responses. I was especially suspicous of the EMs jacket. I was thinking about the officers jacket to put it together just as a conversation piece.