Custer Artifacts

Steindaddie

Here is a piece my grandfather put together in the 1950's which featured his talents as a printer and a digger of artifacts. These are actual arrowheads "fired" that day and also very American in terms of militaria. :>) No digging is allowed there today (and maybe not back when grandpa was doing it !)

Will

post-1949-1196472243.jpg

back then the battlefield was almost a wide open space owned by a local ranchers.

The Wiebert family found hundreds of cavalry artifacts during that time. They put together a couple of books on their finds.

"Custer, Cases and Cartridges", and "60 years in Custers Shadow".

Very interesting reading if you have chance to find.

Cheers

back then the battlefield was almost a wide open space owned by a local ranchers.

The Wiebert family found hundreds of cavalry artifacts during that time. They put together a couple of books on their finds.

"Custer, Cases and Cartridges", and "60 years in Custers Shadow".

Very interesting reading if you have chance to find.

Cheers

I have several books on the subject and it's interesting what is found there until this very day. And.... I visited the Little Bighorn recently and come to think of it, when driving to the Reno battlefield one does access it through private property.

IMPERIAL QUEST

Good for your Grandpa. Not every artifact should remain buried, or be preserved in a museum. I like to see this stuff in private collections thumbsup.gif I remember watching a small dig that was carried out on the PBS show "History Detectives" a while back. It is really something to see objects unearthed that haven't seen the light of day for 130+ years.

....I remember watching a small dig that was carried out on the PBS show "History Detectives" a while back. ...

What a great show - I never miss History Detectives ! thumbsup.gif And...I'm glad you liked the little display that my grandfather made - I'll be having it reframed and leaving it just the way he made it - date and all.

Will