Gulf War Victory Parade - Washington DC

USMCRECON

On 8 June 1991, our Government held a Gulf War Victory Parade on Constitution AV adjacent to the National Mall. A buddy and I from the Pentagon had been deployed to SOCCENT and served in the Gulf War with them but we were not asked (or allowed) to march with them so we sat in the grandstands and took these pictures.

The top one is a picture, that I got from someone else, shows President Bush walking out on the street to meet Gen Schwarzkopf. The second is the MARCENT troops approaching.

post-1107-1316972604.jpg

post-1107-1316972631.jpg

WOW! This REALLY brings back memories! It brings back memories because my recollection is that NOBODY from my unit or any of the other units that deployed from our ARCOM participated. Oh yeah, we had a contingent that went to Washington D.C. and marched in the parade, but they were officers and senior NCO's that DID NOT DEPLOY. I recall two of these "high speed" individuals specifically. These guys went to D.C., got issued brand new Desert Camo uniforms (6 color chocolate chips) and got treated like KINGS during their trip. Evidently they had lotys of excursions to places of interest like the Smithsonian etc. and everyone treated them like royalty. IIRC, they spent five days on Uncle Sam's nickel and got paid for it too! My ARCOM wasn't the only one that played this game.

Bitter? yeah, you can say that. Not because I didn't get to go- I REALLY had enough by the time I got home, but damn, they could have allowed the unit commanders to recommend some high speed soldiers who earned the honor to attend.

Allan

WOW! This REALLY brings back memories! It brings back memories because my recollection is that NOBODY from my unit or any of the other units that deployed from our ARCOM participated. Oh yeah, we had a contingent that went to Washington D.C. and marched in the parade, but they were officers and senior NCO's that DID NOT DEPLOY. I recall two of these "high speed" individuals specifically. These guys went to D.C., got issued brand new Desert Camo uniforms (6 color chocolate chips) and got treated like KINGS during their trip. Evidently they had lotys of excursions to places of interest like the Smithsonian etc. and everyone treated them like royalty. IIRC, they spent five days on Uncle Sam's nickel and got paid for it too! My ARCOM wasn't the only one that played this game.

Bitter? yeah, you can say that. Not because I didn't get to go- I REALLY had enough by the time I got home, but damn, they could have allowed the unit commanders to recommend some high speed soldiers who earned the honor to attend.

Allan

I know exactly how you feel.

After the parade, equipment was displayed on the Mall itself. I though it should have stayed there, through the tourist season, until Labor Day weekend anyhow.

That's true. I should have mentioned that. Thanks for bringing that up.

As I recall, it was only on display for a day or two. I guess they needed to re-integrated the stuff back into its parent units. It was certainly costly to bring all those troops to DC for a week or so of lodging and per diem.

• 1 month later...
VirtualMariner

Especially like the picture of Bush coming out to greet Schwarzkopf (sp?). Kind of sums up the era, in a way.

I marched in the parade that was held in NYC in May '91, which coincided with Fleet Week. We were treated like royalty up there. It was fun, without a doubt, but also very surreal. I'm not sure we'd been back even a full month. The culture shock of being back hadn't really set in yet.

• 1 year later...

Allan

Interesting to read your comments. I was one of the parade announcers. There were six of us (Navy Reservists with broadcasting experience) along the parade route. In keeping with the military tradition of managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory I was asked if I wanted to announce. I said “Sure.” When I asked about orders I was told they were to be no-cost. Nice…I lived 375 miles from DC and would have to spend the night. So I agreed to do it IF they would give my family the same credentials I had to access all areas and sit on the scaffolding with a fabulous view of the parade. They agreed and we had a blast. That was worth far more than a day’s pay. Plus the fireworks at night were awesome. Back to those who marched…we wondered if they were the ones who deployed or not.

BTW I’m a Vietnam vet and during a lull in the parade I suggested to my segment of the crowd that they take this opportunity to thank the Vietnam Vets. The crowd roared. It was wonderful! I hope I made some Grunt’s day. We can't possibly thank them enough.