When was the "fallow me" patch introduced?

subsystem4

I saw two Ike jackets, one was 1945 dated, with blue "fallow me" infantry school patches on them at a flea market. when was this patch introduced?

I didn't buy them but I am having second thoughts.

The standard ultramarine blue version was not authorized until 1951, but the design was around for a long time before that. I believe the DI of a similar design actually came first. During WWII there was a lighter blue version with a white border (both fully embroidered and twill versions exist) that was apparently intended to be worn on a brassard by cadre working at the Infantry School. This early style is fairly hard to find, so its fair to assume it they were not widely worn.

As for a 1945 dated jacket having the patch, WWII dated Ike jackets were worn right up until the very end of the "Ike Jacket" era. Ike's were no longer authorized for officers after 1957 and for enlisted soldiers after 1960.

Here's an example of the WWII lighter blue version with a white border:

post-781-1316267399.jpg

The standard ultramarine blue version was not authorized until 1951, but the design was around for a long time before that. I believe the DI of a similar design actually came first. During WWII there was a lighter blue version with a white border (both fully embroidered and twill versions exist) that was apparently intended to be worn on a brassard by cadre working at the Infantry School. This early style is fairly hard to find, so its fair to assume it they were not widely worn.

As for a 1945 dated jacket having the patch, WWII dated Ike jackets were worn right up until the very end of the "Ike Jacket" era. Ike's were no longer authorized for officers after 1957 and for enlisted soldiers after 1960.

Here's an example of the WWII lighter blue version with a white border:

That looks like the version that was on the jackets. damn i should have grabbed them. $10 each.

Few people know that the "Follow Me" motto originally belonged to the 385th Infantry Regiment of the 76th Infantry Division. The Infantry School later adopted the motto also :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Patchcollector

Thought I would post this,a neat little pocket hanger,still in the wrapper,and a DI I picked up awhile back.

Sorry about the small photos,these are the sellers pics.

post-13386-1317413912.jpg