US Squadron Patch ID needed

Wingcommander

Gents, what can you tell me about this patch? It belongs to a friend and we can't seem to find any reference to it.

"- 5.75" x 7.75"

- chenille- type material on white wool with hop-sack type backing then sewn to black wool backing"

That's the description. here are the photos:

post-10148-1315922720.jpg

post-10148-1315922740.jpg

What info do you have that's leads you to think it is a military/Squadron patch ????????

I could be a motorcycle group, etc , did it come from a military person ???????

I'm not saying it isn't military but not having any definative proof makes it hards to narrow down service let alone unit , hopefully you can shed some more light about this one .......................

Johnny

reportedly came from a grouping to a 5th air force pilot who flew "The Hump." This is what i'm trying to establish.....is it a squadron patch, and if so, which one?

Cobrahistorian

The 5th Air Force was located in the Southwest Pacific. Hump pilots were CBI theater assets.

reportedly came from a grouping to a 5th air force pilot who flew "The Hump." This is what i'm trying to establish.....is it a squadron patch, and if so, which one?

Wasn't there a USMC VMCJ squadron nicknamed the "Black Jacks"? Could the patch have come from a Marine friend of the 5th AAF pilot? I don't know if they shared bases at all, but it might be something to consider. Jeffro

The patch may not have even been related to the group.......I'm not trying to prove provenance, just whether or not it was a crest somebody recognized. It doesn't belong to me. If it was from the 5th AF pilot, he could have been transferred at some point. The rest of the grouping is already sold.....I just wondered if I could find anything out for him solely about the patch.

Will keep an eye out here if somebody does spot it.

Cheers

Wasn't there a USMC VMCJ squadron nicknamed the "Black Jacks"? Could the patch have come from a Marine friend of the 5th AAF pilot? I don't know if they shared bases at all, but it might be something to consider. Jeffro

The USMC unit that had the "Black Jack" name was VMF-441 , it had the playing card with the man wearing crown on the card and "black" spades on the corners , this could have been a "spinoff" design, the only other USMC patch I know of close enough to be a "possible" other than this one was VMSB/VMTB-231, it had a balck spade design but not like yours , so it may be a "military" patch , just one of those "elusive" types you have to put some research into . Good luck !

Johnny