194th Tank Battalion Memorial

MWalsh

The KM marker is, I suspect, a gift from the people of the Philippines, I believe it was a marker from the actual Bataan Death March route.

Also out front of the Brainerd Armory is the M-60 pictured here.

MW

post-440-1310234598.jpg

post-440-1310234604.jpg

Another company of the 194th was Ohio NG -- ("B"?)-- based in Port Clinton, OH. I was present when the Bataan Armory at Camp Perry, near Port Cllnton, was dedicated in 1990 or '91. "37th Guy" was there too and we both displayed Ohio militaria. It was a real pleasure meeting several Death March survivors from the area.

G

Another company of the 194th was Ohio NG -- ("B"?)-- based in Port Clinton, OH. I was present when the Bataan Armory at Camp Perry, near Port Cllnton, was dedicated in 1990 or '91. "37th Guy" was there too and we both displayed Ohio militaria. It was a real pleasure meeting several Death March survivors from the area.

G

That's great you got to meet some of them! The only one I ever knew passed on a few years ago. He attributed his survival partially to the fact that he was a truck driver and was allowed to do some driving for the Japanese, thus missing some of the worst of the march, but not the events afterwards.

Another company was from Maywood, Illinois too, if memory serves me right.

Are there hardly even any Bataan Death March survivors left? One has to figure that the youngest of them would have probably been what, maybe 17 years old in 1941, so what, at least 87 years old now most likely?

MW

This has to be one of the finest memorials I have ever seen.

Thanks for the photo series and the additional information.

Erwin