cthomas

3 More EGA's to the collection

Hey guys. Just added three more EGA's to the collection. I was able to ID one but the others I couldn't seem to pinpoint.

1) I've seen this first one referred to as the 'Goonie Bird'. It's a small size compared to other EGA's I've seen. The post is a little askew but hey, she's a righty!

post-518-1192839225.jpg

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

1) The reverse....no markings could be found.

post-518-1192839273.jpg

WANTED!

WWI Aero Squadron items such as insignia, uniforms & my favorite- PHOTOS! Will purchase or work out a possible trade

HIGHLY SOUGHT- Anything related to the AEF Photo Sections or 85th,258th & 278th Aero Squadrons.

To be alone, to have your life in your own hands, to use your own skill, single-handed, against the enemy. It was like the lists of the Middle Ages, the only sphere in modern warfare where a man saw his adversary and faced him in mortal combat, the only sphere where there was still chivalry and honour. If you won, it was your own bravery and skill; if you lost, it was because you had met a better man
-Cecil Lewis

2) An unknown. Tried but couldn't figure this one out. 1930's? Some nice wear to this one!

post-518-1192839441.jpg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

2) The reverse...

post-518-1192839517.jpeg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

2) One more view of the reverse...No markings could be found.

post-518-1192839571.jpeg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

3) Last but not least.... A possible ID?

post-518-1192839676.jpg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

3) A view of the reverse

post-518-1192839745.jpeg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

3) and one more view of the back. Note the star logo. An MFG mark?

post-518-1192839894.jpeg

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

the first is a nice M-26 Droop Wing 'Goonie Bird' EGA popularized by the CHina Marines. The second is an M-30, similar to the M-20, but with sharper wings. The third is an M-30. The first is for a uniform collar, the second two for the visor covers

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Thanks 'Brig'. Any ideas as to the hallmark on the last one, #3? Just trying to figure out what the star signifies or if it can be tied to a particular mfg.

-Chuck

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

that star seems a bit small, but is normally afiliated with H&H

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hi Chuck,

The 3rd emblem is also one from the 1930-1937 period and has been found in Marine groupings from mid 1930's enlistments. You can always tell these emblems by the little square head and large fan-shape wings. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that all three of these emblems came from the same Marine veteran's estate. Also, the third emblem with "star" hallmark is one of the better ones to find with this mark, especially on a service emblem. I believe Steve Sherlock has one of his father's 1930's emblems with this hallmark, and they are tough to find. The star and dot hallmarks on these 1930's emblems have been elusive to collectors as to a certain maker, but I believe because H&H incorporates the star into their hallmarks, that could certainly be the case, as Tim pointed out, but I haven't heard or seen any solid proof that they are H&H made for sure.

A word of caution on the large cover or hat emblem with the backing plate. If the screw post has the original solder, and it looks as if it might, be sure not to tighten the roller nut too tight against the backing plate. The solder used way back then was inferior lead solder and has turned brittle over the years. Tightening the roller nut too much against the backing plate will cause the screw post to pop right out of the solder. I learned this the hard way years ago and when you go to have the screw post reapplied, the heat generated totally destroys the finish and patina to the front of the emblem's globe.

You found some very nice emblems and some real beauties to add to your collection. Nice going!

Gary

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15996-please-read-gary-mohrlang-glm/

Gary,

Thanks for the compliment on these EGAs' and the advice on not tightening the nut too hard on the washer. Don't need that thread post going MIA! Sorry to hear about what happened to Brig's EGAs...

-Chuck

PS

While I got you here...can you give me a rough estimate as their value? Just a ballpark figure will do fine. Thanks!

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

Chuck, with ebay as the seemingly single source for consistent values, we often find ourselves asking "what would I pay" for these emblems. With that said and typical prices seen for EGA's of similar wear... your gooneys would likely sell for 40-60 and perhaps more if a budding collector was looking for a match to a single.

The cap emblems would likely fetch 75-125 depending when it closed and how many are watching, esp those who may be needing one to outfit a barracks cover correctly. The star hallmarked emblem is a variety in demand by those who collect EGA's and saw one go earlier this year for 190+ This summer we've watched a wild upward swing in prices for more obscure emblems... and high quality EGA's as well. This will undoubtedly produce a rise in the more common emblems in the coming year.

s/f Darrell

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

Perfect Darrell. Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

-Chuck

WANTED!

-Cecil Lewis

Fellow forum members:

You are in the EGA "reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)