Pershing Rifles ROTC Patches

ehrentitle

I normally don't have much interest in ROTC patches but recently have started collecting patches for Pershing Rifles units. I probably have about two dozen patches. Since the 1950s several university and college Pershing Rifles units had distinctive patches made. Does anyone else collect these?

What intrigues me is that Pershing Rifles had a system of geographic based regiments followed by lettered companies. The southwest was the 10th Regiment so, for example, Arizona State was D-10. Company D, 10th Regiment. Most of these patches have a distinctive blue shied with the white cross rifles and torch of Pershing Rifles. At one time there were hundreds of companies mostly in the Midwest, South and Northwest.

Pershing Rifles was and is an ROTC drill/fraternal organization started by Gen John J. Pershing when he was a Lieutenant serving as Professor of Military Science at the University of Nebraska in 1894. For more background see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_Rifles

Kevin

CNY Militaria

I don't collect any of the patches, but I am currently a member of PR Z-8 where I am the S/3, and soon the CO. We used to wear a patch on our BDU's, but phased that out to where we only ID ourselves as PR members on our Class A's with crossed rifles on the lapels, a badge with our PR rank on it, and a shoulder cord.

Justin - Thanks for keeping up the tradition. I was a PR many decades ago. Company A-2 and National Headquarters at University of Nebraska - Lincoln. It was a great experience and some of my most enjoyable time in college. I still have my pledge paddle, membership card, PR cord and rank somewhere. Kevin

Here my uniform to show what we currently wear to reflect our PR membership.

Very nice indeed! Guess I need to dig out my old insignia. I'll scan it today if I can find it. Kevin

Freshman year Company A-2, Airman. P/R was and is open to all of the service's ROTC programs and I was in Air Force ROTC at the time -

post-146-1191878539.jpg

We used to wear a patch on our BDU's, but phased that out to where we only ID ourselves as PR members on our Class A's with crossed rifles on the lapels, a badge with our PR rank on it, and a shoulder cord.

What did the patch look like that you wore on your BDUs. Can you show us a photo? Kevin

CNY Militaria

I never actually wore it, they got rid of it the year I pledged into it. IIRC, it was a subdued version of the shield. I may be able to get ahold of one and post.

I never actually wore it, they got rid of it the year I pledged into it. IIRC, it was a subdued version of the shield. I may be able to get ahold of one and post.

I've never seen subdued P/R patches so I'd be interested in seeing what it looked like. Kevin

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...