Model 1913 Scabbard Question..

phfr

I just ran across a Springfield Arsenal Patton saber with a lower serial number. It is damaged but in ok condition and has the tent scabbard. Would this scabbard be original to a sword with a serial range in the mid 200's or should it be on a higher serial number.

pony soldier

phfr:

As there several of us I am sure that collect Patton sabers, the one you describe is perfectly legal with the tent pole scabard. Yours with a mid 200 range when first issued in 1913 would have had that scabbard. The tips were ground off later in 1914-15. Again, several member collect these sabers and the serial numbers are always good to have for data bases. Would you mind sharing the number?? Also as an avid collector of the Patton's would you consider it for sale or trade, hopefully.

Pony Soldier

phfr:

As there several of us I am sure that collect Patton sabers, the one you describe is perfectly legal with the tent pole scabard. Yours with a mid 200 range when first issued in 1913 would have had that scabbard. The tips were ground off later in 1914-15. Again, several member collect these sabers and the serial numbers are always good to have for data bases. Would you mind sharing the number?? Also as an avid collector of the Patton's would you consider it for sale or trade, hopefully.

Pony Soldier

Pony Soldier:

Thanks for the information. The serial number on this Sprinfield Armory blade is US over 258. I would be interested in seeing if someone out there has one close to it. As of right now this sword isn't for sale but may be at a later future date.

PHFR

pony soldier

PHFR:

Thanks for the number. You mentioned damage, can you describe, I may be able to comment on extent and type. As far as numbers, right now I can tell you that 275 is in the Springfield Armory collection along with 511. I have 33 and 1518 along with others I can tell you more about when I get to my record book. Another forum member has 122. Again I am interested when you are inclined to part with it. You can send me a message on the forum when ready.

Pony Soldier

Spathologist

Hi, PHFR! Welcome to the forum.

I have #112, and #193 was in Michael Long's inventory back in 2008.

Can you tell us on which side of the handle the slotted end of the screws are on? And does the guard have any stamps in it?

Pics would be awesome, of course.

Hi, PHFR! Welcome to the forum.

I have #112, and #193 was in Michael Long's inventory back in 2008.

Can you tell us on which side of the handle the slotted end of the screws are on? And does the guard have any stamps in it?

Pics would be awesome, of course.

Here is a picture of the handle. The slotted end of the screws are on the right. There aren't any marks or stamps in the guard. Other than the blade, I can't find any marks anywhere else.

This rig does have some damage. The blade has some dings on the edge and some rust spots. This piece was in a building that had a fire and the scabbard has a little smoke damage but is cleaning up nicely.

post-25933-1301535596.jpg

post-25933-1301535619.jpg

Spathologist

Thanks for the reply and the pics!

Your saber has the original grips; up until around #1200, the screws on the grip were inserted from the right. After that, they were inserted from the left. It wasn't a random change, as the holes for the bushings in the grip panels are different sizes where the screw is inserted and where it's secured. I have had no luck in determining why they would change the side the grip screws were inserted in...

Your saber is particularly interesting as your US stamp is in serif; The stamp on #193 is sans serif, and all images I have of subsequent serial numbers, except for yours, are sans serif.

Nice find!

Interesting information. I thought I would just throw out there that number 1 is in Carlisle. I believe they may have a couple tent pegs there too but things move around a lot. Regards, CPC

Spathologist
Interesting information. I thought I would just throw out there that number 1 is in Carlisle. I believe they may have a couple tent pegs there too but things move around a lot. Regards, CPC

I had sent a RFI to them some time ago, and you've reminded me that I never got a reply...sending out another one tonight.