Last WW1 US Vet Passes

X_redcatcher

cameldriver

Frank Buckles has gone west. There is now a missing link to our past. With the passing of Frank Buckles, there is no one among us who can say "I was there". It is up to us to keep not only their memories alive, but the memories of what they did.

teufelhunde.ret

Last WWI vet likely not to have Capitol Rotunda honor

By: CNN's Alison Harding

Washington (CNN) - The last living U.S. World War I veteran, who passed away this week, will receive an honors burial at Arlington National Ceremony, but he likely will not be honored in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda as many had hoped.

Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-West Virginia, had introduced a resolution in the Senate that would authorize the use of the Capitol to honor Frank Buckles.

Republican Rep. Shelley Moore Capito, who represents Buckles' West Virginia district, also introduced legislation last year to allow the nation's last "Doughboy" to lie in honor in the Rotunda upon his death.

But on Thursday, Rockefeller released a statement expressing disappointment that the legislation had been blocked by House Speaker John Boehner.

rest of story...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/...ibute/?hpt=Sbin

• 1 year later...

I knew mr. Buckles very well, it never occurred to me until now that his notice would be on the forum....he was a funny man and a good man only lived an hour away.....god bless him

Love u mr. B

Nick c.