5/17 Cavalry

Bushmaster

Don't recall when it was offically formed. I know it was activated in 88 in Korea and then disbanded not to long after and hasn't really been seen since that I know of. It replaced 4-7 Cav for that short while. Really perturbed many of us who were there at the time!!

Don't recall when it was offically formed. I know it was activated in 88 in Korea and then disbanded not to long after and hasn't really been seen since that I know of. It replaced 4-7 Cav for that short while. Really perturbed many of us who were there at the time!!

That is the only information I found as well.

Wikipedia says "For unknown reasons, 4th Squadron, 7th Cavalry, located at Camp Stanley, Korea was reflagged in 1988 as 5th Squadron, 17th Cavalry"...

Yeah, I saw that. I used to have a unit history for the 17th Cav, part of the old unit study guide, but dont know whats happened to it. It was one of those "KFC?" moments when we went from 4-7 to 5-17, and I don't recall much of 5th Squadron having any real history behind it when I was part of it. Of course, that was 20 plus years ago too :crying:

ca224ecf.jpg

Yeah, I saw that. I used to have a unit history for the 17th Cav, part of the old unit study guide, but dont know whats happened to it. It was one of those "KFC?" moments when we went from 4-7 to 5-17, and I don't recall much of 5th Squadron having any real history behind it when I was part of it. Of course, that was 20 plus years ago too :crying:

ca224ecf.jpg

So it appears they were formed in 1988.

• 2 years later...
kimchiman13

5-17th Cav was activated Jan 1988 in Korea, only existed for 8 years. In 1996 it was redesignated back to 4-7 Cav.......