Show me your Model of 1905 SA or RIA bayonets

Chris_B

I'm waiting on an original scabbard for mine (WWII since my bayonet wasn't made till after WWI). It's not the nicest Model of 1905 around but it's plenty good enough for me. I'm fascinated by these relics that survived for so long in any type of serviceable condition. The cartridge belt, bayonet, and bandoleer shown in the pic are vintage; the A-2 is about 15 years old. My model of 1905 is a Springfield made bayonet made in 1919. Strangely, it's got the very dark, almost black, bluing which I'm told is unusual for anything past 1918, and I assume it never went overseas in WWII because it wasn't cut down or parkerized:

belt.jpg

Greg Robinson

In my opinion, the Model of 1905 bayonet is one of the handsomest bayonets ever made by the US military. And unlike a lot of collectors I prefer the early arsenal made version over the contract made WW2 bayonet with their crude forgings and rough finish.

Here are pics of one of my nicer Model of 1905/Model of 1910 bayonet sets. An SA 1918 bayonet with original finish and a Brauer Bros 1917 scabbard.

post-4-1209808823.jpg

post-4-1209808865.jpg

And this has to be one of the nicest early Model of 1910 scabbards I've ever seen.

post-4-1209808978.jpg

post-4-1209809012.jpg

It's funny to think I have the *youngest one* here so far!

I agree, Greg. It's odd to me that many collectors prefer the M1942 type, but that's OK with me, since it probably made my Model of 1905 affordable. If I'd been looking at a M1942 in similar shape I might have had to throw another hundred dollars at it

I think maybe in many people's minds the wooden-handled ones are not USGI for WWII, and WWII has become the more popular era to collect from

Anyway, I'm getting quite anxious to get my scabbard. I found a nice "Lazy S" scabbard for it. I was considering a leather one, or the canvas and leather one, but I was worried about the leather too much since my budget allows me to get an "OK" one of those. So instead I went bidding on one that was fairly rare, but that I could afford to buy in nearly perfect condition

Greg Robinson
I'm waiting on an original scabbard for mine (WWII since my bayonet wasn't made till after WWI). It's not the nicest Model of 1905 around but it's plenty good enough for me. I'm fascinated by these relics that survived for so long in any type of serviceable condition. The cartridge belt, bayonet, and bandoleer shown in the pic are vintage; the A-2 is about 15 years old. My model of 1905 is a Springfield made bayonet made in 1919. Strangely, it's got the very dark, almost black, bluing which I'm told is unusual for anything past 1918, and I assume it never went overseas in WWII because it wasn't cut down or parkerized:

What you're calling bluing is probably the original parkerized finish applied to these bayonets beginning either very late in 1918 or, more likely, beginning in 1919. It has a "two tone" effect because of the different degrees of polish done to the blade. Starting an inch or two from the guard the parkerization takes on a smooth black look similar to bluing. You'll see this finish in bayonets dating 1919-1922.

Greg Robinson
I agree, Greg. It's odd to me that many collectors prefer the M1942 type, but that's OK with me, since it probably made my Model of 1905 affordable. If I'd been looking at a M1942 in similar shape I might have had to throw another hundred dollars at it

I think maybe in many people's minds the wooden-handled ones are not USGI for WWII, and WWII has become the more popular era to collect from

I think this demand for the so called "M1942" bayonet is driven by gun collectors who own WW2 M1 Garands and, for reasons I don't understand, feel the dates got to match. In the real world, WW2 rifles were issued with the bayonets on hand at the time. And early in WW2 the first M1905's issued were those either made in the WW1 period or those made earlier and then refinished post WW1.

Here are mine.1906 SA & RIA 1907 scabbard,1918 SA & "lazy s" scabbard,1908 SA & Mk1 scabbard,1906 RIA & Mk1 scabbard Rich A. in Pa.

• 5 weeks later...
What you're calling bluing is probably the original parkerized finish applied to these bayonets beginning either very late in 1918 or, more likely, beginning in 1919. It has a "two tone" effect because of the different degrees of polish done to the blade. Starting an inch or two from the guard the parkerization takes on a smooth black look similar to bluing. You'll see this finish in bayonets dating 1919-1922.

Thats exactly the finish my SA 1919 has.

uniforms225.jpg

uniforms224.jpg

Milsurp Collector

My Springfield Armory M1905 bayonet has a blued finish and was made in 1912. I bought my M1905E1 bayonet from a gentleman in Luxembourg who said it was found in the Bastogne area.

8anqfzk.jpg

Doughboy1918

Here's my SA 1908. It came with the Beckwith scabbard shown here but I got the repro M1910 scabbard to display it with. It's been sharpened, but it was done so a long time ago. I'd like to get a second-production M1905 (a.k.a. M1942) bayonet to go with the WW2 vintage scabbard someday.

post-58-1212670088.jpg

Doughboy1918

Here's a closer shot. I wish the grips hadn't been sanded smooth, I really like the original texture.

post-58-1212670233.jpg

Greg Robinson
Here's my SA 1908. It came with the Beckwith scabbard shown here but I got the repro M1910 scabbard to display it with. It's been sharpened, but it was done so a long time ago. I'd like to get a second-production M1905 (a.k.a. M1942) bayonet to go with the WW2 vintage scabbard someday.

Yeah....the wood as it originally came on those was very attractive. Unfortunately, original replacements are pretty much in the "unobtainable" category. I suspect what you have there is a WW2 reworked M1905 during which they sanded the dings out of the grips, refinished the blade, and updated the scabbard so technially what you have is a WW2 issued M1905. But I understand what you mean about the "M1942's".....they really do look more "correct" in that plastic scabbard

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's mine. I got it from ebay a while back. When I received it, I was surprised to see two carved notches on the handle. I wonder what those are supposed to be. :blink: They're not too obvious from the picture but they're there.

th_m1905bayonet1.jpg

th_m1905bayonet2.jpg

Hmm, the notches may be the obvious...or they may be where the grips were damaged and had the splintered wood removed so the GI didn't stab himself with splinters- might just be hacked out with a knife

Here's my model of 1905 again, this time with scabbard and cartridge belt

M1905beltscab.jpg

Heres my two. An 1907 dated bright blade with Scabbard. The scabbard is marked but I can't make it out. The other is 1917 dated Blued blade with Bauer Bros 1917 Dated Scabbard.

post-551-1214754932.jpg

I guess that brings up the question. Whom were all the makers of The Scabbards. If I had all the makers then maybe I could figure out who made the one I have. I've tried to figure it out but its just too faint to make it out.

• 3 weeks later...
TrenchRaider1918

Sorry, I'm a little late, but here's mine:

I was told this was a modified Krag scabbard, with the M1910 wire hooks.

post-879-1216524491.jpg

Greg Robinson
Sorry, I'm a little late, but here's mine:

I was told this was a modified Krag scabbard, with the M1910 wire hooks.

That's a modified Model of 1905 scabbard made for the 1905 bayonet. They originally had the Krag style hanger before being upgraded with cartridge belt hooks starting in 1910.

Your bayonet is a Springfield Armory first year of production that was probably refinished post WW1.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skinner

I have a few questions for all of you. My two boys have each inherited a bayonet from their great grandfather; he was a medic in WW1. One is a Remington Model, stamped 1917; the grips have what looks like two factory grooves that go completely around the handle. It is missing its scabbard. The other is marked RIA 1918 has serial numbers in the 3 hundred thousand range. With a scabbard. The RIA one is missing the push button to release the scabbard and the bayonet from the rifle. My questions are as follows. How hard would it be to find a scabbard for the Remington bayonet. What rifles were used for these two Bayonets. I can post some pictures on here tomorrow. If anyone could even point me out in the right direction I will start to research these things on my own. The RIA bayonet has some rust from being in its scabbard for all these years is there a way to clean that off that will not damage the finish? Neither one has ever been sharpened both have there original finish. The scabbard for the RIA one looks like it is a fiberglass type compost. Olive drab green, has the exploding ordinance with US stamped on the bomb. Is that the correct scabbord for the RIA bayonet? Again any information will be helpful and I will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Thank you all very much for your insight.

Mike