All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. pfrost

New to me aerial gunner wings.

Many have asked that question. It has never been found with a hallmark (best I can recall). Most show up as clutch back, but a rare few are found in pin back.
  3. hyrax222

I know nothing about them but want some knives

Gitana- Second thing I think about every morning! Praise Him hyrax222
  4. Cpl. Punishment

Vietnam PBR 593 Grouping

Figured I should add a photo of the back of the TS 593rd patch.
  5. Here’s the pages out of Stacey’s book. Pg 28.
  6. Cpl. Punishment

Vietnam PBR 593 Grouping

7. Today
  8. Understanding, the date is simply the year the contract to make them was accepted, not an actual manufacture date.
  9. Hey Sarge. Im guessing two different helmets and the covers were put on by the same person. Maybe the photographer. You know how some people like things that match or are symmetrical... Thats something a photographer or the assistant would do with props in my opinion. Im guessing they didnt notice the straps being mismatched so focused on the covers. lol Im guessing civilian photographers working on base. Because also look how loose and sloppy the covers were put on. The work of a civilian is my guess. A Marine or soldier would get the cover wet and put it on there tight and let it dry and shrink up. ? Dave
  10. Hey thank you Patches!!!! Never saw something like that! Its fitting too since the 33rd fought in the Pacific in WW2! Nice !
  11. The Rooster

Info on finding helmets

Make a new post on this helmet. Thats what you should do with a new item you want to share. P.S. ...Some helos can fly up where you need oxygen.
  12. rathbonemuseum.com

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

Again, first for me! So i would like to know what the book says. I focus on aviation and not naval rates!
  13. Bearmon

Could this be an actual "reversed" CBI

All four in this topic have point down stars point down stars
  14. Every reversed CBI i have seen have a point down star as opposed to a point up star, meaning the star and sun were just put one upside down. like the one in post #22 reversed CBI and this one on Flying Tiger (on top) Now I see this and wonder if it could be a true "holy grail" (on bottom)? n
  15. PatLaabs

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

I gotcha. They're not too uncommon but embroidered chevron rates like this do show up and usually are stamped 1943. I have a few myself. I believe Stacey mentions them in his book in the "Back Marks" section. Not at home to reference it currently but it was originally thought to be an experimental thing during the war before embroidered chevrons became the norm.
  16. KASTAUFFER

Post your WWII Navy/USMC Pilot or Aircrewman Uniforms

Welcome aboard !
  17. Me too. A couple of weeks ago, there was a toy show at the fairgrounds, but the building rent may be too high now.
  18. decwriter

Newly Discovered Doolittle Raider DFC Medal

BTT in honor of the 82nd anniversary!
  19. Mr.Jerry

German 17cm Naval Shell

Awesome shell, but we gotta keep it U.S. over here. But feel free to post on our sister site the World Militaria Forum! https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/
  20. opus5150

German 17cm Naval Shell

Found in a Richmond, VA junkyard. Never know what you’re going to find there. 90mm AT round on left for scale Interesting history from 314th.org.
  21. Sorry it’s been taking awhile to assemble my charts. I recently discovered a new source for some 1835-1851 orders via an officially published compilation, then discovered that post-1845 with the soft start of the Academy they had special uniform regulations for what the author of that book called “acting midshipmen” so I’ve now had to read both newer scholarship and review old Navy Registers to see if there’s anything about these “acting midshipmen” who didn’t actually have a warrant. From the primary sources I’ve reviewed so far, the documentation doesn’t care so much about their official status so much as how much each individual is *paid.*. Eventually there are lists of guys identified as midshipmen who are being paid $500 but not getting travel expenses or rations, but all of them are listed in the appropriate locations of warrant officers.
  22. BryanJ

Norman D. Landing

I finally bought my first Jeep and parked it adjacent to my DB5 (Trivia: the average price of a DB5 is $1,391,932). A few posts back the discussion was about modern digital technology. While modern technology is beyond amazing, especially with innovation it’s brought to the medical profession, and we obviously would not be conversing herein today without it, I am a proud, confessed, techno-dinosaur, longing for the good music, movies, and life style, of pre-1975 (I pick 1975 because after that the BeeGees ruined the music world and Western Civilization has never since recovered). Before the techno-revolution, we all effectively communicated, we banked without fear of losing our life savings, our privacy was safeguarded, our kids actually found meaningful, healthy things to do, we were not bombarded at work with one meaningless report after another, we all had hobbies, militaria swap meets, drove Jeeps, and the list goes on and on. Again, I would not turn the clock back, but, some aspect of today’s techno-world I would gladly let slip into the dustbin of history. Anyway, I wanted to share my new Jeep, vent a tad, and wish you all a wonderful day. PS - the day my son moved out of the house for university life, it was a sad day, but interestingly enough, I don’t remember him shedding the tears my wife and I did. Go figure.
  23. Threewood

New to me aerial gunner wings.

Any clue if this pattern is attributed to a particular manufacturer?
  24. Toughguy

Dustoff Patch

Recently found a 498th Medical Company Dustoff patch. Been looking for two Dustoff patches for a really long time. One down one to go. Without this forum and its members it is likely I’d still be looking for this one. Thank you,
  1. Load more activity