All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. mdk0911

Pinned pommel dilemma

Union Cutlery made 2 version of the blade stamping like yours - with KA-BAR stamped on the one side and larger font USMC, and another with a smaller font usmc stamped on the reverse. Do you have the leather scabbard?
  3. Thrifter_01

April Finds

There have been some great finds so far, ranging from a WW2 grouping to a small USN Iceland ephemera certificates. First is a Lt. Colonel grouping who was stationed at Fort Wolters Infantry Replacement Training Center during WW2. Research is still ongoing. Along from the flea market came a gorgeous photo album from a First Sergeant stationed in Oregon and small USMC Afghan group.
  4. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Rear echelon British troops in the Western Desert North Africa searching through damaged German cans looking for ones without holes to be re-used again. At this time the British hadn't yet copied the German design of Jerrycan and were still using the tall square petrol can referred to as a ' Flimsy ' petrol can, two flimsy cans can be seen at the lower front edge of this photograph, and a 1941 dated one in my collection in the following photographs. They were referred to as ' Flimsy's ' as the four side were just flat sheet without any strengthening ribs pressed into them, it's said that if handled roughly they often split open. As the German design was so superior in design the British followed it almost exactly, and initially the US military set up a manufacturing facility in Palestine again copying the German design, before designing an American style can due to using pressure wheels to join seams rather than the time consuming welded design used in the German and British copies. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  5. sactroop

Pinned pommel dilemma

knifelover, your knife is definitely a WW2 version. Union Cutlery didn't make any more of these knives after WW2 until long after they changed their company name to Ka-Bar and reintroduced the knife for the 200th anniversary of the United States Marine Corps. The blind pin they use in the re-introduced knives was done on purpose to show the difference from the originals.
  6. General Apathy

Norman D. Landing

. Hi mikie. Wartime body mounting brackets are welded to the frame, but I believe post war models can either be riveted or welded depending on which model / year of Jeep. I am guessing my French friend was in the barn primarily looking for Jeep parts or spares. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2024. ...
  7. Today
  8. In his records (that I have) it says MM final qualification for rifle and then also had a bayonet qualification of "58". See below.
  9. busternfo

Is this V aviation rate real or fake?

This is a small detail, but NYEC is short for New York Emblem Corporation, not Company. I mention this because I have assumed it was Company as well, for the last 40 or so years, and I noticed it now, for the first time, in Stacey's wonderful book on Navy Rating Badges and Marks. "Though seeing, I do not see."
  10. The long single bar is the WW 2 Rifle Sharpshooter qualification badge. My dad had one of those. The other with the hangars is a basic qualification badge and the hangar bar could be any number of things such as pistol, bayonet, etc. on it. You would need his records to be sure.
  11. Was a great show. Looking forward to the next one in October.
  12. rathbonemuseum.com

WW2 Gunner Wings for review

Nice standard Bell Trading Post wings. WWII. Please review this thread.
  13. Hi there! I recently did a request to get the list of medals my grandfather received during WW2. The USMC set us duplicates of all medals except for the rifle marksmanship medal, which they do not carry. I do have an old photo of my grandfather that shows two different medals. One is a basic badge with what I assume is a rifle row on it. He was a member of the USMCR in WW2 and served as a Squadron Clerk for VMF-441 on Roi. What I need help with is: 1) What would be a period correct WW2 rifle marksman ship medal? Is it in fact part of the basic grouping on the right? Would the row just say Rifle or MM Rifle. 2) What would the one on the left be? Thank you in advance!
  14. History Man

Theo Heller WW2 thru VN painted leather

Best of luck with the acquisition, those are three incredible jackets
  15. Aloha & welcome to the forum, you'll find us on the Naval pages here Your DLG... ...and her sister, my DLG
  16. Excellent item !! Say, i’ve a question - next year there’s the anniversary of the end of WW2 in Austria and the Wien Museum will show quite a large exhibition on that topic. Would you maybe be willing to lend this USFA MP helmet during this event, as it would add up quite nicely to the exciting collection ? Thx Stefan
  17. Marshallj

Combat Rosaries - Issued?

As previously said, Bibles and rosaries were not "issued" by the military but were readily available at the chapel or handed out by the Chaplain. Here is the Chapel I attended in Afghanistan.
  18. Different uniforms. That' s about it.
  19. cerick1450

WW2 Gunner Wings for review

Hello How do these Gunner wings look? Period correct? Can anyone identify the maker? Thank you
  20. I never miss this show! Hope to see you there.
  21. Bearmon

Who Wore This CBI Patch

How about this one?
  22. cerick1450

A.f.&H co shovel 1943 Question

I took a better look at it, and I can see the repaint. Thank you.
  23. collectsmedals

Combat Rosaries - Issued?

Here is a Rosary I have that came in a small metal box made to look like a Bible.
  24. 5thwingmarty

New to me aerial gunner wings.

Based on the pattern I know one advanced collector that says these are Dondero, but as has been said none of us has found one with a maker's hallmark.
  25. collectsmedals

Post your WWII Navy/USMC Pilot or Aircrewman Uniforms

Lt. (LtCdr) David L. Abrahamsen, blue dress jacket, white shirt, tie. Lt. Abrahamsen was killed in the crash of A-7B, BuNo. 154422 near NAS Fallon on 12/7/1970. Also in my collection are his VT-4 Top Gunner trophy and a parody photo taken with VA-125.
  26. Marshallj

New to Forum

Great ! I have one son in the High Point area and another who just finished an enlistment at Bragg. I've spent a lot of time in NC!
  1. Load more activity