All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Peacekeeper

Some SPH-4 help!

Disassembled helmet and didn't find anything visible wrong. All parts are where they supposed to be. Two things I noticed: 1) Two medium screw assemblies (5) are little too short. 2) Perhaps two additional soft spacers between visor housing (7) and visor tracks (11) could help.
  3. US troops with an M3 37mm anti-tank gun whilst on maneuvers somewhere in Southern England - Early 1943 Interestingly, the breech of the M3 has been fitted with an M1903A2, for use as a sub-calibre training device. The receiver and bolt are just visible. Each of the men carries a full set of infantry field equipment....rifle-belt, Carlisle dressing pocket, canteen, haversack, meat-can pouch and entrenching tool. Also visible beneath their left arms are their service respirators. Much of the equipment issued at this time was of WW1 vintage. For example, their canteens feature aluminium screw-tops, a feature of WW1 production canteens. Original caption by the late Ian Phillips LIFE Magazine Archives - David Scherman Photographer WWP-PD
  4. The M1 helmet and one of its many uses.... US Personnel with the 3rd Infantry Division look up for possible enemy aircraft during a lull in the Battle for Anzio, Italy - April / May 1944 LIFE Magazine Archives - George Silk Photographer WWP-PD
  5. SparkyD

UNIDENTIFIED PATCH

I have this patch of my Grandfathers. Can find anything about it.
  6. There are two wings on Bob's site that appear to have the same style of G shield, not A&C wings but possibly other Australian made wings. Those wings are not maker marked, and I cannot tell if those G shields are applied or struck as part of the wing. I don't have any Australian wings, maybe one New Zealand made and have no skill in telling if these are real or not, just pointing out wings with the matching shield.
  7. Misfit 45

1941 Johnson Bayonet

Looks good! Marv
  8. hyraxxx222, I remember Gary Cunningham saying there were about 32 variations, but I'm sure that wasn't taking into account foreign bayonets and fantasy pieces. The point is you can't stop. That's the fun of it isn't it? Each time you spot a never before seen variation...you win? Marv
  9. Chariots of Fire

M-20 Prime Mover

It may have once I get done with the chassis!😆
  10. Yesterday
  11. dmsebby

Ridgeway Cap Maker

The California NG Historical Collection just found a "Ridgeway" cap, and we are trying to determine the maker. The tag says, "Falcon Jump Up" Any ideas?
  12. copdoc

Rocket Rodeo

Look forward to this. Dads unit captured a "buzz bomb" site at end of war. By description it sounded like V1 site.
  13. Evening gents, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I have an opportunity to purchase this example for $750 without the scabbard. As far as I can tell, this is a genuine example in its original configuration very nice shape. Please let me know if I'm mistaken. I'm just having a tough time evaluating price for 2024. There are very few examples without the scabbard sold within the last few years to compare it with, and I'm locked out from seeing most sold prices without paying fees. I understand pre-2010s, something like this would probably only go for $400-500. Is this a good deal now?
  14. Rhscott

Red and white camo painted WWII M-1 helmet

Looks like a long haired hippy freak from the 1960s painted it while on acid.
  15. Airborne_bro1944

Minors In History WWII Living History Group

Wait, how do you guys fire weapons when you guys are around my age? Are there different gun laws in Virginia. New to the forums btw
  16. Well that's too bad. The medals came in a small grouping that included the veterans WWI victory medal and his American Expeditionary Forces Identity Card so I have a name, but would be nice to confirm. Thank you for looking through that reference book for me. Very good information. Jeff
  17. In the just ended Centurian auction there was a terrific group with just absolutely killer patches. Lot had 5 theater made GHQ patches one with a numbered tab. A 12th arm div hellcat bullion TM, Merriles,1st div recon bullion,112thcav,etc and one I had never seen which was ID as Navaho Code Talker. In a separate lot of armor and cav was an apparent theater made 3133 sig co. Asked Scotty about these and he said he never saw a Navaho or the 3133 TM. Wanted to bring to forums attention. I did a cursory check of code talkers web sites and found no reference. All the accepted 3133 signal are US made and highly sought after; but as they say just because you haven't seen it ,it does not mean it did not exist. Again presented to the forum as information, question and comments all to the betterment of the hobby. Would love to hear comments and any information. Mort
  18. kfields

us sector loads of 4.2in

Nice finds!
  19. danimal03

WWII B17 Gunner's Rear Sight

hello, I can maybe add some perspective. I do collect USAAF items with a focus on the European Campaign. I would not mind this item in my collection. As it is, without solid provenance, I think $1200 is a little high. but if it was solid provenance to a specific B17 I would pay close to that (or at least consider it). I think where the money is, is the piece of airframe attached to the sight. That would be very hard to fake. Basically, you would have to ruin a real piece of B-17 airframe that likely would be worth more on its own. I see this as sort of like a Civil War 'bullet in wood'. Meaning a loose Civil War minie ball is worth a couple bucks. If it is lodged in a piece of tree, or building etc., the value rises dramatically. I have a neat 'Tower' Enfield lodged in a cut piece of wood taken from an outbuilding from the Spotsylvania Battlefield. I bought it at a show for around $250. The mangled dug bullet might be worth around $10 if I dug it out. But the added sum of the parts outweighs the individual pieces. These are my thoughts. I hope this helps. cheers!
  20. manayunkman

82nd Airborne / 17th Airborne Glider Pilot NCO Ike

Is there a name in any of these fabulous jackets you have shown. Is the museum in Ohio?
  21. hyrax222- There is no known data, and just about impossible to even speculate. Good luck! SKIP
  22. For those of you who favor transitional bayonets; how many variations were likely produced, during WW2? What is a "variation"? How many made by soldiers, other governments or production allowances due to war time. Then there's the "never-seen-before" rarities, fakes, reproductions and fantasy bayonets... So my question is: How many variations are there (so I know when to stop!) hyrax222
  23. wow. Very interesting finds and pictures. Thank you for sharing! RIP Lt. Posey.
  24. hyrax222

Training bayonet

Boonedog- Was there a question? I believe there are three different "versions", same pattern. I have a couple as an andjunct (pronounced "add-junked") to the US M1905 bayonets. Many of these, largely "plastic" training bayonets have broken muzzle rings and other blems not found on steel bayonets. Now you have a documented use for that M-3, MK 1 scabbard! (that too many bayonets come with!) hyrax222
  25. Marshallj

Cut down M4. Why and when?

So here is my thought - my dad brought home a German gravity knife from WW2. My brother often took it hunting. My brother broke the blade. I sharpened it and it looked like that.
  26. Hello all. Just wanted to run an idea past some people here. I’m looking to patch some holes. A rather large one or two on certain Indian war, Span Am war era coats as I get obsessive about gravity wearing it down. I was considering using small swathes of reenactment fabric. Any thought or theories on the cloth effecting the fabric in the long term. Or any other viable solutions. Thanks as always.
  1. Load more activity