• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 mvmhm

mvmhm
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,423
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Yeah, I was pretty lucky that this donation of items included a bunch of original photos and his military documents....plus his plane was the subject of a Korean War Stars and Stripes article that mentions him by name...their B-29 had an engine crap out on the way to North Korea and they made an emergency landing...there were also original pictures of that incident in the grouping too....

Mark sends

#27 flightmac

flightmac
  • Members
    • Member ID: 16,276
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

Terrific photo! It really documents those one-piece Flight Engineer wings.

So there were one piece FE wings! Probably really rare and outa my reach right now. :crying:

#28 mvmhm

mvmhm
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,423
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Here's a pic of just the wings...they are pin backed and sterling silver, which I obviously haven't cleaned.....

Mark sends

Attached Images

• Bill_Wright_wings.jpg

#29 flightmac

flightmac
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Here's a pic of just the wings...they are pin backed and sterling silver, which I obviously haven't cleaned.....

Mark sends

They seem very flat on the material like clutchback.

#30 armillary_journey

armillary_journey
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 18,040
  • 241 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:17 PM

Was this a pattern actually worn on uniforms? I have a pot metal version like this (along with several other sterling patterns) and see them on eBay. I'm just curious if this design was purely for souvenirs or is it a legitimate variation to look out for? Thanks.

Posted Image
Pepé
(retired WC-130 F.E.)

Could you show the photo of the back without the clutches for us learners out here? Thanks!

#31 flightmac

flightmac
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

Could you show the photo of the back without the clutches for us learners out here? Thanks!

Sure thing. It'll be a couple of days because I'm out of town. If I recall there are no marks.

#32 flightmac

flightmac
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

O.K., I tried to post up the image, but the best I can do right now is a link, links actually.

Here is the front and back of the F.E. wings with the small center (and made of potmetal) that I own.

A little explanation; when I first posted the image, I knew a website that had the same design/pattern - http://www.b24bestwe...s-FlightEng.JPG. I used it without giving credit, but didn't intend to be deceptive.

#33 Tinman

Tinman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,555
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I have a set of wings identical to mvmhms’ which came off of a uniform similar to his. I didn’t get the uniform. At one time they had an unusual frosted finish. The back is dark gray and they are clutch-back and marked sterling in raised letters.

Attached Images

• FE_1_1.jpg

#34 Tinman

Tinman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,555
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:04 PM

back

Attached Images

• FE_2_1.jpg

#35 bulldog06

bulldog06
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,651
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

These appear to be the same wings as shown on page 125 of More Silver Wings, Pinks, and Greens. Interesting pattern, nice wings.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users