BG Orville E Walsh's uniform

GIl Sanow

I was really dispappointed that I never made a significant purchase at the recent SOS -- just nachos and a Coke! There was nice stuff there, but nothing I wanted to pull my wallet out for.

When the uniform below turned up on e-Bay a few weeks back, I followed it closely. Toward the end, I placed a modest bid, fully expecting to lose at the end, as almost always happens. But not this time! I ended up getting both pieces for what I had bid on the coat alone!

Granted, there is some damage present, but the sewn-on ribbons (the thing that most attracted me) need a little stitching to secure them and an OLC on the LM, all is fine. The cap is clearly marked and there were a couple of the general's business cards included.

IMG_1530__Small_.JPG

IMG_1531__Small_.JPG

IMG_1532__Small_.JPG

Walsh was born in Cleveland, OH (I was too) and graduated from West Point in 1918. He went overseas as an engineer officer with the Army of Occupation, then returned to a variety of duties, schools, etc. He often worked on river and harbor projects. During WW2 he was in the Pacific with 6th Army and ended up in Japan on occupation duty. He was finally promoted to BG in '51 and retired in '53.

His cap and cards appear below.

G

IMG_1528__Small_.JPG

IMG_1529__Small_.JPG

I just got a reply to my inquiry to NARA for a photo of Walsh. Here he is at his desk as Deputy Director, Joint Construction Agency, EUCOM in '53. (Cropped from a xerox copy)

It sure looks like the identical uniform I have. Sometime you get lucky on photos.

G

Walsh_at_desk__Small_.jpg

CNY Militaria

Very nice pickup! I planned to bid on both of these as well, but forgot and showed up a little late. Oh well, glad they went to a good home!

Justib

His medal group sold in a George Harris list (#23 September 1987)

This coat looks like it was split from the group

Bill