WWII USMC Uniform Question

JimD

I have a USMC EM's dress blue tunic issued in WWII and need the white belt that goes with it. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for (and where, if you know)? I have heard conflicting opinions that the belt is either leather or woven web and I am now confused, which is my normal state. Any guidance would be appreciated before I deluge myself with a bunch of modern issued or repro belts off E-bay.

I have a USMC EM's dress blue tunic issued in WWII and need the white belt that goes with it. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for (and where, if you know)? I have heard conflicting opinions that the belt is either leather or woven web and I am now confused, which is my normal state. Any guidance would be appreciated before I deluge myself with a bunch of modern issued or repro belts off E-bay.

Some other source may have been confused because the dress green uniform used leather back then, but now has a cloth belt. Here's 1941 photos of the blues and greens:

usmcblues1941.jpg

usmcgrees1941.jpg

The white belts for the dress blues were made of leather up until about 1937 at which point the woven belt was introduced. The leather of the former belt was a very light, almost white leather which was dyed on the outer part with a white polish, usually "White Ace." My dad always said that the leather of these belts was camel hide, but I could never confirm it. It definately doesn't look like cow hide, though.

If you want to match a WWII uniform, you would want the woven belt.

Steve

I might add to my response above that during WWII another kind of belt came out for the blues. It had the standard waist plate as the issue woven belt, but the belt itself was made of white rubber or some such substance. During the war the Marine Corps ceased issuing blues except, I believe, for embassy duty (though I could be wrong about that.) Those Marines who wanted them for liberty purchased them from tailors. These private purchase blues are fairly common, and actually much better made than the issue ones. I would imagine the rubber type belt I have described would have been private purchase, also. Somewhere I have one kicking around, complete with original hardware.

Now, when looking on Ebay, usually what you find portrayed as a WWII belt is actually later. The key is looking at the reverse of the waist plate and at the catch. The notch of the female catch on the WWII ones (and earlier) will measure 3/4' while the post war ones will measure approximately 1 1/4'. It is a noticable difference. Of course the male part on the plate itself will be correspondingly different as well.

Steve

The Blue uniform for both enlisted and officers could be worn either as "Dress" Blue or "UnDress" Blue.

The white hat cover, white belt and gloves were worn with the Blue Dress uniform.

The blue hat cover and cordovan leather belt were the Blue "Undress" uniform. It is easy to find pictures of these being mis-matched in actual use. White belt, with blue hat cover. White hat with leather belt etc. Rankin's book suggests that the blue cap cover was standard and the white cap was "special" and worn in certain times and places.

Eventually a blue woven belt with brass open-faced buckle was introduced but I'm not exactly sure when. Rankin suggests as early as 1942 but period photos don't seem to bear this out in actual use.

The white leather belt seems to have been replaced (at least in regs) in 1937, when the white cloth belt became available.

• 1 year later...
The white belts for the dress blues were made of leather up until about 1937 at which point the woven belt was introduced. The leather of the former belt was a very light, almost white leather which was dyed on the outer part with a white polish, usually "White Ace." My dad always said that the leather of these belts was camel hide, but I could never confirm it. It definately doesn't look like cow hide, though.

If you want to match a WWII uniform, you would want the woven belt.

Steve

I have a 1930s Marine dress blue blouse that still has a white shadow around the waist where that leather belt was.

teufelhunde.ret
During the war the Marine Corps ceased issuing blues except, I believe, for embassy duty (though I could be wrong about that.) Those Marines who wanted them for liberty purchased them from tailors.

Steve

Correct and sea-going Marines were issued Blues as well...