Helmet, Flyers, Winter, B9B

Sabrejet

This USAF-issue item dates from the mid-80s. It's described as a "Flyers' Helmet" but I'm not entirely sure who would have worn it in practice. Cargo handlers in draughty C-130s or Chinooks perhaps? It would also seem to be suitable for ground crewmen who happened to find themselves servicing airplanes in such places as Alaska or Greenland! Perhaps some of the ex-USAF servicemen on the forum could enlighten re this one?

post-8022-1264703518.jpg post-8022-1264706023.jpg

Sabrejet

We had these back in the mid 60's. I had one and brought it home with me. Was a good cold weather cap, but I never wore mine much. About 20 to 25 years ago, I sold it cheap to a guy who collected such items. As best I remember, these were authorized aircrew members and I do remember seeing lots of aircrew wearing these as a wintertime utility cap. I think most guys considered these as nicer versions of the old GI pile cap from earlier years. The old pile caps were still very much in use then too. The nomenclature of "Flying Helmet", was a puzzle to us then too! :think:

We had these back in the mid 60's. I had one and brought it home with me. Was a good cold weather cap, but I never wore mine much. About 20 to 25 years ago, I sold it cheap to a guy who collected such items. As best I remember, these were authorized aircrew members and I do remember seeing lots of aircrew wearing these as a wintertime utility cap. I think most guys considered these as nicer versions of the old GI pile cap from earlier years. The old pile caps were still very much in use then too. The nomenclature of "Flying Helmet", was a puzzle to us then too! :think:

Interesting. Thanks Lee. Are they still in use or have they been dropped from the inventory?

Ian :thumbsup:

The slick, nylon outer shell was designed specifically to allow this to be worn under a flight helmet. I'd guess they are still in the inventory as I still get them in from time to time.

Here's some bundled up B-29 crewmen from the 46th Recon Squadron at Ladd AFB in Alaska in the late 1940's:

post-214-1264719879.jpg

post-214-1264719907.jpg

These caps (in the lower close up), look more like the old Pile Cap instead of the B9B cap, but served the same purpose.... to keep the old noggin warm. The Lt. in the top photo is wearing a B9B.