"GI JOE" Prototypes

kanemono

• 8 months later...

Here are three copies of French 18th century silver and brass gorgets. These pieces are 6” wide by 5” high. Two of these gorgets were commissioned in 1974 by the Canadian Government for display at the reconstructed Fortress Louisbourg, Canada. Here is a photograph of one being worn by one of the re-enactors at the Louisbourg fortress. The third gorget was commissioned by the National Park Service for display at Yorktown.

post-9487-0-28394300-1564675562.jpg

post-9487-0-81398600-1564675570_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-38396000-1564675576_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
aerialbridge

Wondrous art pieces, Dick, from the Joe's weapons, to your custom jewelry, metalwork and sculpting. I hadn't checked this thread in a few years. Your commissioned bust of Chief Shikellamy and explaining the process used to make it is magnificent and fascinating. Is that what is referred to as lost wax casting?

I failed to see the new posts in here until tonight, but superb work as always! How long did the sculpture in post #125 take from beginning to the casting stage? That is very impressive!

Thank you to everyone who has looked at my pieces and visited my website. The Chief Shikellamy bronze was created using the lost wax method of casting bronze, It is a huge ammount of work to produce a large bronze sculpture, The small sculpture of Chief Shikellamy was my study piece made in 1/6 th scale. All of the pieces were fabricated from many separate pieces and brazed and silver soldered together. I placed these on a body made of clay. After the large bronze was finished I sculpted the body of Chief Shikellamy from epoxy that is made for model builders. I attached my brass pieces to the epoxy sculpture and painted the epoxy to look like bronze. I have no idea how much time I have in the brass pieces. Here is a piece I just finished of a pair of stag beetles that will be in a show in Tokyo, Japan next summer. This piece is made from many pieces of brass, bronze and silver which are brazed and soldered together.

post-9487-0-58514600-1567353154_thumb.jpg

post-9487-0-07367400-1567353163.jpg

post-9487-0-73640200-1567353170.jpg

Dick, If you told me there was a small crank and wind up motor on the bottom of those beetles, and that not only could they do 0 to 30 in 3.4 seconds, but they could also eat the leaves off my tomato plants, I would believe you. Please keep sharing so that those of us whose artistry is limited to painting the bathroom (waterbase, not oil) can see what it means to have been blessed with great talent.