• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 james127

james127
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,118
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 02:53 AM

I'm working on the next episode for the History Traveler series on my YouTube channel (link here) and was wondering if anyone knew what section of Omaha Beach Robert Capa landed on when he took his famous blurry photos. I've done some digging but haven't been able to come up with much. Also, if anyone would like to watch the episode that I'm working on before I make it public to fact check and make sure that I don't sound like a complete moron, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

#2 tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,708
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:14 AM

I'm working on the next episode for the History Traveler series on my YouTube channel (link here) and was wondering if anyone knew what section of Omaha Beach Robert Capa landed on when he took his famous blurry photos. I've done some digging but haven't been able to come up with much. Also, if anyone would like to watch the episode that I'm working on before I make it public to fact check and make sure that I don't sound like a complete moron, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

According to a quick search Capa was supposed to land with the 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Division which was to land on Easy Red I believe.

#3 king802

king802
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,878
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:42 AM

It was Easy Red sector - you may find this link interesting.

https://petapixel.co...-capa-on-d-day/

#4 aznation

aznation

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 97,747
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 03:44 AM

+1

Source:  https://www.magnumph...ay-omaha-beach/

“I am a gambler. I decided to go in with Company E in the first wave.

The coast of Normandy was still miles away when the first unmistakable popping reached our listening ears. We ducked down in the puky water in the bottom of the barge and ceased to watch the approaching coastline. The first empty barge, which had already unloaded its troops on the beach, passed us on the way back to the Chase and the Negro boatswain gave us a happy grin and the V sign. It was now light enough to start taking pictures, and I brought my first Contax camera out of its waterproof oilskin. The flat bottom of our barge hit the earth of France. The boatswain lowered the steel-covered barge front, and there, between the grotesque designs of steel obstacles sticking out of the water, was a thin line of land covered with smoke – our Europe, the ‘Easy Red’ beach.

#5 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader
  • Members
    • Member ID: 15,934
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 06:43 AM

A week or so ago I sold a book by Capa  "Omaha Beach on D-Day" Robert Capa & Morvant Bertail  ISBN: 978-1-62672-283-5 to Forum member "Old Crow 1986" Part is artist drawings and part are Capa photos with happenings to him in his own words.    If you can not find a copy I think Ned would share with you.  It will answer your questions.  Richard

#6 Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986
  • Members
    • Member ID: 288,817
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:19 AM

This is why I love this forum! 

Woke up, fed the rabbits, read the online news, settled into USMF to catch up on any overnight postings and found the question about Capra on D-Day.

Started looking through my new book (BTW - thanks again Richard)  and found the following on an INCREDIBLE fold out page:

"Easy Red" 

20031902 Easy Red.jpg

#7 Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

Full Page

20031903 Full.jpg

#8 Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

Foldout

20031904 Foldout.jpg

#9 Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:22 AM

The Book

20031901 Cover.jpg

#10 Old Crow 1986

Old Crow 1986
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 07:27 AM

James - You are more than welcome to borrow, use, reference (within copyright standards) the book.  It really is something - part comic, part graphic novel, part history text, part biography.  And don't let my crummy, hurried, cel camera shots throw you off...the graphics are quite good.

#11 james127

james127
  • Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:44 PM

James - You are more than welcome to borrow, use, reference (within copyright standards) the book.  It really is something - part comic, part graphic novel, part history text, part biography.  And don't let my crummy, hurried, cel camera shots throw you off...the graphics are quite good.

Oh wow. Very cool. That's the first that I'd heard of this book. Thanks for sharing that.

#12 james127

james127
  • Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm getting ready to upload the first Omaha Beach video to YouTube (to be released public on Monday). If anyone with extensive knowledge on the D-Day would be willing to give it a quick look and make sure I don't have any glaring errors, shoot me a message and I'll send you a link when it is up.

#13 hbtcoveralls

hbtcoveralls
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,138
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:03 AM

You need to read this piece which debunks much of what came out later about capa on D-day.

The story he told (and his brother told for that matter) are quickly debunked, and the legend of the ruined film is also debunked

He was a mercenary photographer, he came in shot a quick roll and scooted right back out, taking only the photos we see today and not the allegedly lost photos

https://petapixel.co...-capa-on-d-day/

enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users