Possible sf used ACH

Just another collector

Just another collector

I picked up this ACH awhile back off eBay and upon further inspection I found a name and possible unit attached to the helmet. The name inscribed on the inside is Taunton and the possible unit is 4-7 Im not 100%that this is a unit. It could be an issue date or parts of a serial number. 4-7 does trace back to 4th battalion 7th special forces group, 4-7 marines, Calvary and infantry. The custom paint is more inline with what a sf soldier would do. The exterior of The helmet features a NVG mount, three Velcro anchor points. 1 anchor point on each side of the helmet and 1 point on the back. On the inside of the helmet the concussion pads are arranged to accommodate a communication headset. Some of the pad anchor points have lost some of their adhesive and have begun to fold upwards. Upon further inspection of this there is some sort of gravel or sand indicating use in some sort of arid or highlands climate. Any help would be great!

Thanks

-Charles

post-176748-0-18835800-1574734580.jpeg

post-176748-0-90155200-1574734593.jpeg

post-176748-0-64330100-1574734612.jpeg

I would tend to agree that it is Army vs other branches. When the Marines got issued ACHs due to the shortage of ECHs, they had a different chinstrap specific to the Corps. The JTACs and what not tended, for whatever reason, to get issued TBH helmets. It also seems to be more consistent with the time period that SDS was producing those helmets. You don't often see vegetation used in the camo, and it seems to be earlier rather than later in the life cycle. Can you get a shot of the interior showing the wear on the pads? Also of the front of the rhino mount? Also the top of the helmet if possible.

Just another collector

I would tend to agree that it is Army vs other branches. When the Marines got issued ACHs due to the shortage of ECHs, they had a different chinstrap specific to the Corps. The JTACs and what not tended, for whatever reason, to get issued TBH helmets. It also seems to be more consistent with the time period that SDS was producing those helmets. You don't often see vegetation used in the camo, and it seems to be earlier rather than later in the life cycle. Can you get a shot of the interior showing the wear on the pads? Also of the front of the rhino mount? Also the top of the helmet if possible.

Here are the pictures you asked for, thank you for your help!

-Charles

post-176748-0-41708700-1574812191.jpeg

post-176748-0-62954900-1574812199.jpeg

post-176748-0-65282900-1574812207.jpeg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

USMC did use H back foliage grey chinstraps like this with many of their ACHs. NVG bracket is an PASGT/LWH one, not an ACH one. Not seeing much wear on the paint. Pads are brand new, but those are often replaced. These style of helmets are super popular with airsofters but this one doesn't scream fake to me.

Just another collector

USMC did use H back foliage grey chinstraps like this with many of their ACHs. NVG bracket is an PASGT/LWH one, not an ACH one. Not seeing much wear on the paint. Pads are brand new, but those are often replaced. These style of helmets are super popular with airsofters but this one doesn't scream fake to me.

I believe you are right about the pads but they show a little bit of wear. The helmet retention system looks well used, the chin strap has a yellowish color to it. The paint does look a little new but there are chips and scratches on the sides and top so Im confident that the paint wasnt put on right before it was put up for sale. I contacted the seller of the helmet when I first started digging around to see who used this helmet and he said he picked it up at a flee market in St. Louis. Flee markets and antique shops are known to have fakes but they can be a gold mine for forgotten items. Hopefully thats the case with this helmet.

Thank you for your help

-Charles

Good morning. I appreciate you posting your helmet. You may want to consider that you have a "collector's copy". You have it in hand while I'm looking at pictures so your judgement as the owner is respected. To me this helmet doesn't pass the 'first look' test. It's an early helmet but the paint, pads, bracket, etc. seem new and fresh. Doesn't show much if any use i.e. - deep scratches, gouges, paint chips, etc. The velcro on the side from the picture doesn't show wear or retention of crud that would be seen with a used helmet. Like I mentioned you've got it in hand but from what I see in the pictures I'm not confident this is a down range used helmet. I look forward to hearing other collectors' opinions.

Here are the pictures you asked for, thank you for your help!

-Charles

Thanks for the extra pics

Good morning. I appreciate you posting your helmet. You may want to consider that you have a "collector's copy". You have it in hand while I'm looking at pictures so your judgement as the owner is respected. To me this helmet doesn't pass the 'first look' test. It's an early helmet but the paint, pads, bracket, etc. seem new and fresh. Doesn't show much if any use i.e. - deep scratches, gouges, paint chips, etc. The velcro on the side from the picture doesn't show wear or retention of crud that would be seen with a used helmet. Like I mentioned you've got it in hand but from what I see in the pictures I'm not confident this is a down range used helmet. I look forward to hearing other collectors' opinions.

This is also a good assessment. I'd expect there to be more wear on the top of the helmet where guys would roughly set them down. Another indicator is that the interior shell is very clean with not a lot of moon dust in those areas. As Cap pointed out, the rhino mount is the PASGT one which doesn't always negate a helmet, but by this time, the standard newer version was in use. With all this being said, there is the potential the soldier cleaned it before deployment, painted it, and then didn't use it. I've got one in the same condition that has been all over the world, but just before his last trip they gave them opscores so the paint is still fresh looking. That would take a statement from whomever used it though because without it, it makes the water murky.

Just another collector

Hello, thank you for the comment, I agree with you. The pads, paint, and rhino do seem a little too new for the helmet, the only thing thats really giving me a used vibe would be the retention system. When I compared it to some pictures of a nonissued one the evidence of it being used at one point is clear. Ill post some pictures of the inside of the helmet without some of the pads and some of the scratches on the paint.

Thank you

-Charles

Just another collector

Here are the pictures

post-176748-0-18517300-1574885536.jpeg

post-176748-0-64219000-1574885543.jpeg

post-176748-0-95933900-1574885550.jpeg

honestly, I think the shell paint-job and chinstrap are probably original.

But the pads, velcro on the sides and the wrong NVG mount were added to sell on ebay.

Most of it just looks too-new. Sure, there's always a very small chance that a helmet was a back-up and not used much. But if that was the case, the condition would be consistent. you wouldn't have a slightly used paint job with new looking velcro on the sides.

Just another collector

Looks better in these pics for sure.[/quote

After seeing these pictures would you say the chances of the helmet being original for the most part are good?

Looks better in these pics for sure.[/quote

After seeing these pictures would you say the chances of the helmet being original for the most part are good?

I'd say that yes, for the most part its good.

Trust everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and didn't have too many problems traveling through the horrible weather.

First let me say I've really enjoyed this threat. I think it's been an open and professional exchange of opinions and experience. Thanks. With respect to everyone's experience I think it might be useful to "tighten down" on this helmet a bit more. I'd offer you've got a nice helmet but only you can really answer if it is what you thought it was when you purchased it. I believe we are all in agreement that the shell itself is original along with the chin strap. There is a difference of opinion as to the paint job. We all agree that the pads, mount, and exterior velcro are not original to the helmet / have been replaced / are added on / etc. If I were to label it for my collection I would be comfortable calling it "restored". Not trying to put words in anyone else's mouth on this just wanted to give my last assessment after all the photos, discussion, etc.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I am confident it is not unmessed with back from a deployment. Beyond that if it is a copy or an original that wasnt used is speculation in my opinion. But I will say the former seems more common to me.

Trust everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and didn't have too many problems traveling through the horrible weather.

First let me say I've really enjoyed this threat. I think it's been an open and professional exchange of opinions and experience. Thanks. With respect to everyone's experience I think it might be useful to "tighten down" on this helmet a bit more. I'd offer you've got a nice helmet but only you can really answer if it is what you thought it was when you purchased it. I believe we are all in agreement that the shell itself is original along with the chin strap. There is a difference of opinion as to the paint job. We all agree that the pads, mount, and exterior velcro are not original to the helmet / have been replaced / are added on / etc. If I were to label it for my collection I would be comfortable calling it "restored". Not trying to put words in anyone else's mouth on this just wanted to give my last assessment after all the photos, discussion, etc.

Well said

Just another collector

Happy thanksgiving thank you for your help. I trust everyones judgment on this.

Thank you

-charles