What's up with this guys garrison cap DUI?

ironsights66

I was researching the 299th Engineer Combat Battalion and noticed that none of the soldiers had DUI, which was common in WW2, other than this guy. When I zoomed in I noticed it definately isn't a standard type DUI, it almost looks like a cockade on 18th century headgear. Anyone know what up?

post-180172-0-40994100-1572562005.png

A Co, 299th Engineer Battalion was assigned to the 14th Cavalry. He's probably wearing the soft tab color insignia authorized for wear post-115509-0-42437300-1572704245.jpg.

The cloth was worn in the cuff of the garrison cap. Not having a better picture only makes this speculation looking at the B/W photo. The picture attached is for wear as a shoulder loop. The cloth for the Cav (or 4th Infantry Regt) would be a longer ribbon.post-115509-0-42437300-1572704245.jpg

Yeah the photo is tiny, tried zooming in when saved but gets real blury and indiscernible, thinking perhaps it was some kinda of French Tricolor ribbon of sorts.

Not sure the GI is wearing a "DI". I tend to agree with Patches, some type of spiffy French tri-clor, and may only be a personal affectation. Not 14th Cav/14th Constab Regt either.

Sorry I'm just now checking on this, it usually takes longer for someone to respond. I appreciate the blown up image, I always have a hard time getting anything to upload unless I shrink it. Anyway I appreciate the theories, I still dont know what to think.

Looking at it again it kind of looks like whatever ribbon this is is folded like a "V", which might explain that extra bit if its a French tricolor.

Looking at it again it kind of looks like whatever ribbon this is is folded like a "V", which might explain that extra bit if its a French tricolor.

Interesting.