Jimmy Stewart and PTSD

The Rooster

Interesting article on Jimmy Stewart and the effects PTSD had on him.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3825552/Jimmy-Stewart-suffered-extreme-PTSD-lost-130-men-fighter-pilot-WW-II-acted-anguish-filming-s-Wonderful-Life.html

Photo comparrison of Jimmy stewart in early 1942 and Jimmy stewart 2 years later.

They have a few things wrong in the article like they keep refering to him as a fighter pilot. He was a B24 Pilot.

2 years aged him quite a bit.

post-181333-0-59025700-1571587297_thumb.jpg

rooster, thanks for posting that article and photos. That is astounding at how Jimmy Stewart aged in just two years. That would make an interesting study, before and after photos of combat veterans. Hard to believe it's been more than 20 years since he passed at 89.

The before and after photos has been done before. I believe by a UK Photographer. Good article although as you pointed out some factual errors. Jimmy Stewart was one of my favorite actors growing up. Kinda weird considering I grew up in the 70s but then, he was that good. 'Flak Happy' it's been forever since I heard that term.

I just watched Flight of the Phoenix the other night, one could presume he tapped into that emotional distress for that role too. The article mentioned It's a Wonderful life a few times but I think if he ever used that trauma to project it was the Phoenix flick, his chararcter had a lot of emotional issues. After reading that article, that movie was eerily in step with his experiences in WWII. The parts that jump to mind was when people lost their lives, he feels responsible and guilt a few times in the movie. It's almost like that movie was scripted to tailor to his PTSD.

• 1 year later...

Back in mid 70’s worked with a guy that was flight engineer on Col. Stewarts B-24. Said he was a good guy but did not tolerate any goofing off. Said on one flight he had nothing to do as A/C circled up to flight altitude so he went to sleep on the parachutes near radio operator. Got woke up by someone kicking him, it was Col. Stewart. Said Col. Stewart said,” get up airman, no one sleeps on my A/C”. Ole George was the tool room guy where I worked, he liked to drink, kept a bottle in a tool box, lol.

• 2 weeks later...
The Rooster

Here is a picture looks like out of a movie but its not.

Its Jimmy Stewart talking on the phone next to his Dad in his Dads hardware store.

Looks like he has Colonels Eagle on his shoulder?

Stewart-10800.jpg

Wow, at first I was thinking which movie,  then read your post. Really does look like a movie shot.  And then I remembered he never had a movie role being in the service. Great photo! Thanks.