Searching for information on my uncle

Bearon

I joined the forums because I found a picture that looked like my Uncle who died durning the Battle of Brest on the Corzon Paninsula on 18 Sept 1944 and wanted to find out if the poster had a better resolution picture, the link of the post is http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25259-brest-naval-submarine-pens-sept-18th-1944/page-2

I have been researching the time Uncle Edwin was in the Army for the past 2 years. He was part of the 28th Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division and landed on Ohmah beach on 4 July 1944.

If anyone has any information on this picture or can help in my research it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to get more detailed information below the Regiment level. Looking for daily reports and anything that will help fill in the blanks. I do not know what Battalion, Company, or Platoon he served in and have determined that the 28th was in the mist of clearing the last of the fortified areas of Eastern Corzon the day he died. Would like to find an approximate time and location of his death. He is buried at Plot G Row 2 Grave 14 Brittany American Cemetery St. James, France.

About me:

I joined the US Navy on Sept 8th 1978 wanting to become an Illustrator Draftsman (DM) and was honorably discharged Apr 30 of 1992 as a DM2 (E5).

Stationed at Great Lakes for Boot camp and BEE C school, US Naval Station Annapolis/Naval Academy and the Pentagon.

Served aboard the USS Coral Sea (CV-43) making 2 West Pacs, a Pineapple Cruise and was in the Indian Ocean during the Iranian Hostage rescue attempt and the USS Iwo Jima (LPH-2), making 2 Med cruises and 2 Caribbean Cruises (ie RefTra).

And yes it was most certainly an "Adventure" :unsure: and I will be more than happy to help anyone who would like to know about the US Navy while I was in.

Thank you to everyone who is participating and managing it. I am grateful for people like the members of this forum and others that are documenting the historical aspects of the Military, foreign and domestic. Keep up the great work.

Welcome aboard Bearon ! Condolences for your Uncle. My Dads Broher died during his service in the war.

You are amoungst friends. Lots of veterans on here from all branches.

Welcome and good luck with your search on your uncle.

Rooster.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Here's information I found regarding Edwin M. Sawyer. Some of this you may already have and some you may not.

Also, the picture I think you're mentioning in the older post was submitted by member Yannik who's not signed onto the forum since Nov. 2, 2016, so I doubt you'll get a response regarding a higher resolution picture.

I think this is the picture you're talking about, correct?

g1.jpg

Source: https://digicom.bpl.lib.me.us/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1121&context=ww_reg_his

In one of the newspaper article above it mentions that Edwin was missing since the 14th of August. Here's an excerpt from the book whose source I provided. Also, curious to note is they have Edwin's rank listed as Sgt and not Cpl. I guess it just could've been a mistake.

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

In one of the newspaper article above it mentions that Edwin was missing since the 14th of August. Here's an excerpt from the book whose source I provided.

Please disregard the above that I posted. After looking again, the article mentioning someone that was missing was actually concerning Pfc John W. Russell and he had previously been reported missing Aug 12th, not the 14th. With regards to Edwin, he was not reported missing at all but reported killed in action Sept 18th. Guess I need to pay better attention. Thanks...

Welcome from a new member also. I am researching my father, father in law and my wife's grandfather.

Your uncle is also entitled to retroactive award of a Bronze Star for having received a Combat Infantryman Badge. I found this out researching my father.

Quote from US Army TACOM website. https://veteranmedals.army.mil/

As a result of a study conducted in 1947, the policy was implemented that authorized the retroactive award of the Bronze Star Medal to soldiers who had received the Combat Infantryman Badge or the Combat Medical Badge during World War II. The basis for doing this was that the badges were awarded only to soldiers who had borne the hardships which resulted in General Marshall’s support of the Bronze Star Medal. Both badges required a recommendation by the commander and a citation in orders.

Rooster77,

Thank you for your Welcome and Condolences for my Uncle Edwin, I never knew him since I was born in 59 to his younger brother.

Aznation,

The picture you posted is not the correct one and they are no longer available on the forums because where Yannik hosted them. Tinypic.com had hosted the pics and as of today they are no longer available to 3rd party sites (the sad part about hosting sites going away) And are only available until the 19th for the people who posted them.

I’ll see if I can get the copy I have posted. The pic is of a German solider speaking to an American Officer holding a pipe. The solider in between them and in the back is the one who looks like my uncle.

The World War II Honoree is my Honor page to Uncle Edwin.

I have the NARA Image

Did not have the Census info from 1920 and 1940, My father and his twin are the 5 year old’s listed the other sibling that is missing is the youngest Elisabeth. The only 2 living Siblings are my Aunt Beatrice and Uncle Bob (Robert).

I did not have the American Battle Monuments Commission’s Index, I found it a few years ago but could not find the source again (I’m keeping better track of it all now though). Its great because it tells where his actual grave is.

The picture of him with the Horses to the left of his head was taken in my Grandparents living room and I remember the wall paper and horse picture. The house is now My Cousin’s Betty’s.

The Oswego Palladium-Times clipings are great, I used to deliver that paper when growing up . I did a search for them but never came up with anything. The real Iironic thing is that you found them on FultonHistory.com (I reside in Fulton lol) and did not know of this site. I am going to do some digging on it now though for more than Uncle Edwin.

HonorState.org I had

I have the complete text of the 28th Infantry Regiment and saw the listing where he is listed a a Sgt. More than likely he was promoted postmortem.

And finally no worries about the listing that you thought said he was MIA. I understand how easy it is to get mixed up, but at least you caught it. I appreciate that.

RustyCanteen,

Thanks for the welcome aboard.

Gophergrove

Good luck on your searches and thanks for the Bronze Star info. I am going to put together a flag box to put his medals and a flag in with a digital and hard copy of what I come up with. So this was unexpected.