V-J Day Celebration pics printed aboard USS Ajax, P.I. - Anyone seen these before?

stratasfan

Was given these pictures, and was wondering if anyone had ever seen these or others like these before!

Here is what I know about them:

9-1/4 x 8-1/4"

VICTORY CELEBRATION
END OF JAPANESE WAR -- Service Squadron Ten Anchorage, Leyte Gulf, Philippine Island
(This picture is not mailable under existing censorship regulations.)
Printed aboard U.S.S. AJAX

One photo shows the harbor glowing from multiple bursts of star shells, exploding like a July Fourth fireworks celebration.

The other photo, glistening with cannon fire in the background, silhouettes a ship filled with jubilant sailors, smiling and waving.

The following is from an online article from:
STAN SCHAFFER, The Morning CallTHE MORNING CALL

"It's too bad you can't hear the cannons," John F.E. Carr says.

Carr, a Navy veteran of World War II, refers to his "victory" photos sans sound.

The photos are spread across his kitchen table. They were taken in mid-August 1945 in Leyte Gulf, Philippine Islands.

The photos show how ships and the men who manned them celebrated the news of Japan's unconditional surrender.

Both photos are labled "Victory Celebration -- End of Japanese War -- Service Squadron 10 Anchorage, Leyte Gulf, Philippine Islands."

Another notation states the photos were printed aboard the USS Ajax, a supply ship.

One photo shows the harbor glowing from multiple bursts of star shells, exploding like a July Fourth fireworks celebration.

The other photo, glistening with cannon fire in the background, silhouettes a ship filled with jubilant sailors, smiling and waving.

Carr's ship, the USS Fillmore, an attack transport, was in the harbor from Aug. 2 to Sept. 19, 1945.

He recalls the night the news was announced aboard ship:

"I was on the starboard watch. My battle station was the direct current generator. I was a machinist mate third class.

"We were at anchor. My job included repairing all the things on board the ship. A movie was being shown. It was dark. It must have been between 8 and 10 o'clock.

"Suddenly, there was a terrific sound of cannon fire and explosions. We were scared at first. We thought we were under attack. When the lights came on, then we were told the war was over."

post-151812-0-99759100-1564407885.jpg

Um . . . I mistyped the title and didn't catch that . . . should have been "celebration"! ;)

Salvage Sailor

Thanks for posting this.

That's a very well known photograph of the celebration and there were quite a few of my shipmates who were there as this was where Service Squadron Ten was (Rescue/Salvage ships, Fleet Tugs, Repair ships, etc.) preparing for Operation Olympic (Coronet/Downfall), the invasion of the Japanese home islands.