Looking for info on JERRY CHASE USMC 1960's

usmce4

Last I saw him we were in India Co 3 Btn 2nd Marines together in 1964. He was a Sgt E-5. A year or so ago I was reading a memoir style book about Vietnam and one line caught my attention, ".....we also had some fine Mustangs like Jerry Chase."

"Mustang" is a USMC term used for an officer who came from the enlisted ranks.

As far as I know, "Jerry" is his legal name, it's not short for anything.

Any help appreciated

Art

familytreevets

If this is the same Jerry Chase:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Second Lieutenant Jerry David Chase (MCSN: 0-95902), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company I, Third Battalion, Third Marines, THIRD Marine Division in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam on 24 March 1967. While engaged in a search and clear mission in the vicinity of Cam Lo in Quang Tri Province, the lead platoon of Company I was entering a village complex when they suddenly came under intense enemy mortar, grenade, small arms and automatic weapons fire from well concealed, heavily-fortified bunkers, fighting holes and a network of trench line positions. Observing a North Vietnamese Army force attempting to outflank his unit, Second Lieutenant Chase, displaying exceptional tactical skill and leadership, quickly deployed his platoon on line in an attempt to reinforce the lead platoon. Immediately subjected to a heavy volume of enemy fire, his platoon was halted and two casualties were sustained. Observing his wounded men exposed to the concentrated hostile fire and within grenade distance of the enemy positions, Second Lieutenant Chase, with complete disregard for his own safety, courageously ran to the wounded Marines and provided protection for them by throwing grenades and firing his weapon at the enemy. Inspired by his fearless actions, which temporarily suppressed the enemy fire, his platoon began delivering such a heavy volume of fire on the hostile force that fire superiority was gained long enough for the wounded men to be evacuated to relatively secure positions. Returning to his platoon, he skillfully maneuvered his men into effective firing positions and directed accurate fire on the enemy. During the ensuing fire fight, two additional Marines were wounded and fell in positions exposed to the hostile fire. Although the platoons were being withdrawn in preparation for an air strike, Second Lieutenant Chase unhesitatingly ran to aid his wounded men. Taking their grenades, and with complete disregard for his personal safety, he fearlessly assaulted the enemy bunkers, destroying them and killing four North Vietnamese. When his platoon again achieved fire superiority (Remainder of Citation Missing).

Not sure if this is the right one but.

Note: You can still read the Guest Book/Condolences online at the site below if you wish. They're still on there for the moment.

Source: https://www.mundenfuneralhome.net/notices/Jerry-Chase

Jerry Chase, 77, of Newport, NC died Tuesday, August 23rd after living an honorable life of duty to his family and his country.

A Funeral Mass will be held 2:00 pm Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at Munden Funeral Home with Father Greg Spencer presiding.

Jerry enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1951 as a PFC. He served in Korea and did two tours in Vietnam; retiring in 1977 as a captain. As such, he is a member of the Mustang Association. He worked in the nuclear power industry after retiring from the Marines.

Jerry enjoyed boating, motorcycles and fast cars. He spent some of his best times with his friends at the Fish House, telling “fish stories” and drinking a few cold ones, they were friends til the end. Thank you! He was a member of the Powerboat Squadron and volunteered with the Wounded Warriors Project to help fellow veterans.

Jerry was know as C.O.D (Crusty Old Dude), but had a compassionate and giving heart. He was brave to the end and we’ll miss him.

He has four children, Sheryl Waller of Newport, NC, J.T. Chase of Fayetteville, NC, Michelle Silvio of Vineland, NJ, and Danelle Chase of Newport, NC, who were at his side when he died. He also has seven grandchildren, Chris, Wesley, Joey, Lacey, J.T., Jazmine, Cory and 4 great-grandchildren, Brianne, Lucia, Riley and Lianna.

The family will receive friends 6:00 to 8:00 pm Monday at the funeral home.

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 930-B Wellness Drive, Geenville, NC 27834.

g4.jpg

g3.jpg

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

BIG thanks to familytreevets and aznation (once again). I can't be 100% positive that's the "JC" I'm looking for, looks change in 45 year old memories but the timeline fits perfectly and the action in the citation sounds like his M.O. And being that "Jerry" isn't a very common proper name, more of a nickname, but it is/was his and is the name of the person you came up with I'll go with 95% sure.

Only thing is I sure never saw him smile like that when he was a Sgt!!!!

RIP JC