Hello from the Midwest!

Joshua Hartman

Joshua Hartman

Im a homeschooled high school senior, a member of the S.A.R., and relatively new to collecting. I am currently putting together a Korean War U.S. rifleman uniform. I enjoy learning about all periods of history, but I have just(within the past two years or so) become interested in the Korean War(so book recommendations are deeply appreciated?).

Josh

Welcome Joshua.

I recommend the book "SECOND TO NONE - HISTORY - 2ND INFANTRY DIVISION - KOREA 1950-51". They were the first division to arrive directly from the US when the war erupted. When they arrived the North Koreans had overrun the entire Korean peninsula except for a small perimeter around the port city of Pusan.

Welcome! If you can find a copy of Shelby Stanton's book, you'd be amazed by the amount of information and photos in it: https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Army-Uniforms-Korean-War-ebook/dp/B005EVUUQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551120613&sr=8-1&keywords=stanton+korean+uniforms

There are some great Korean War movies too that can help you get a sense of the uniform components (I spend most of my movie watching time looking at the uniforms) The Steel Helmet, Fixed Bayonets, Bridges at Toko Ri, and Pork Chop Hill come to mind.

Joshua Hartman

Thanks guys! I already have Shelby Stanton’s book(it has so far been invaluable to me), and I will look into the rest of those!

Hello Joshua:

I am brand new to this forum, and your post is the first I read.

I just finished an outstanding book about the 1st Marine Division in the Inchon landing and at the Chosin Reservoir. "On Desperate Ground - The Marines at the Reservoir, the Korean War's Greatest Battle" by Hampton Sides.

1CDarty