Militaria overlap with other collection

PlaneCrazy

Hey, I'm PlaneCrazy (aka Andrew) and my primary collecting interest is in old writing implements, specifically fountain pens and earlier.

I've recently begun to develop and accidental sub-collection of military-related items. They occasionally pop up and after a while I've realized I have a small, but interesting collection. These are mainly ink wells and pens from the second world war era, but I always look out for writing implements when in museums and historical sites.

One example is at Appomattox. There they have the stub of a pencil used by Robert E. Lee to make revisions to the terms of surrender offered by Grant. Another is a steel dip pen and holder used in the formal surrender. I have at least been able to identify the holder, and have one just like it as it was a popular style of British holder made well into the early 20th-century. It would be a perfect item for Civil War re-enactors looking for a proven style of pen and holder from the period. (only old folks or desperately poor people in the 1860's would still have used quills)

Anyway, I have a question or two, and thought that some here might find some of this collection interesting. I'm also happy to give advice on what kind of writing implements would have been used at the various times in US military conflicts for any interested in being period accurate for museums, personal collections, etc... My pen history site is https://thesteelpen.com/ where I'm capturing the lost history of a once significant US industry.

Cheers,

Andrew

Attached is a photo of what the pen looks like. If you're ever there, it's in the small museum there mounted on a plaque commemorating the signing of the surrender. The picture below is the one in my collection that is exactly like it.

post-208319-0-45691000-1546536636_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Hello and welcome to the forum Andrew.

Very slick looking website. I know you will find several military collectors here who have developed an accidental sub-collection of pens and pencils.

Backtheattack

Hello and welcome! Interesting site, for myself I did a little search in german pen and pencils years ago. Wish you a nice time here.

I have had a victrola for a long time...which was an extension so I could listen to WWI and WWII records.

Back long ago...before the Internet...I would hold up a tape deck and record my own tapes of period music. It was the only way to listen to WWI songs in the car.