• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LIFER

LIFER
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,954
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:43 PM

Looking for ones that are archival, that will be a plus. Maybe finding ones for less when you get them in bulk. Mostly posters and maps 30x40"  and then smaller. Looked on internet and those that I found were too expensive (for quantity) or not offering larger sizes. Plastic frames are good, if it's made well.

#2 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 05:02 AM

Bigger sizes are always tougher to find.  We have a Michael's craft store by us that are usually somewhat expensive, but then occasionally have 50% off sales on frames and such, and they carry a few larger sizes. Doubt their stuff is archival, as that usually means UV glass as well.  But for me, getting the poster into something is better than just having me wreck it.

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:15 AM

You're not going to find inexpensive archival frames, especially larger sizes. If you're lucky, you'll stumble upon a site having a sale, and even then you're going to pay. I wait for sales and pick them up. If something is worth archival glass, then it's worth spending the money. You get what you pay for when it comes to conservation. I would expect to pay over $100 for a frame the size you seek, even on sale.

As Mr. Jerry stated, Michael's tends to have a 50% off sale on frames/shadow boxes once a month, and if you get on their mailing list they seem to send a 50% off 1 item coupon out monthly. But Michael's does not carry archival frames. They do, however, sell acid-free matte board.

#4 plick27

plick27
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,987
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:15 AM

3rd for Michael's. They also carry a decent selection of shadow boxes and displays that are also reasonable when they are on sale.

Edited by plick27, 24 November 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#5 tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,708
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:35 AM

I will also 4th Michaels. The issue isn't finding something cheap, it's archival, and archival will always cost you more.

Michaels isn't cheap but the lady at our store has always done right by me and I'd prefer to pay a little more if I can work with someone who's appreciative. Here are a couple options.

Michaels has a standard package deal that includes frame, uv glass, 2 mats. It's a basic package deal that can be better than just picking stuff off their display wall.

You can also take a store bought frame and have them put in acid free mats and uv glass.

I'd at least go into Michaels and pick their brain. At least get an idea of what's going on with frames, mats, glass, fitting, ect.

Hope this helps.

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:47 AM

Michael's sells large acid-free matte sheets (something like 40x30) for around 8 bucks. With a pencil and hobby knife, you can covert it into a matte for a fraction of the cost of buying pre-cut. Pre-cut mattes tend to run 3-4 bucks for just a 4x6, so definitely worth the time to cut them yourselves and save the moola. I do it all the time

#7 LIFER

LIFER
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hi Brig

I figured as much. First, I was just looking for frames with backing and a plastic sheet that was ready made. But when I put the post up I was thinking (or hoping) that there would be such thing. After all any extra money always goes for the collection, right?

#8 LIFER

LIFER
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:11 PM

Brig, Plick 27 and Tdogchristy

I will have to check out a Michaels, and find out when that sale is.

#9 LIFER

LIFER
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

Brig

I agree. Thanks for the tip.

#10 dunit35

dunit35
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 200,443
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 11:42 AM

I usually take my newspaper articles to Hobby Lobby. It ranges from $40-$60 to get one framed. They are currently framing a VE Day newspaper at $50 and a larger D Day newspaper for $80. I have three of the Valor Studio prints that they framed for me. Those were around $150 a piece to frame. 

Edited by dunit35, 05 December 2018 - 11:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users