7th Infantry Division M1917

Nickman983

I just recently started to get into collecting helmets and thought I would share some pictures my second helmet. I had been looking for a m1917 and was able to pick this one up for $55 (which hopefully is a decent price). Unfortunately the liner is missing and, while the chin strap is present, it is a bit damaged on the right side. The division insignia has also seen better days, but overall I am happy with it. The inside of the helmet is marked with the initials M.B.B. If anyone can point me in the right direction for researching the names of men in the 7th ID during WWI I would be really interested in doing a bit of research to see if I can find a match.

Here is a link to an imgur album with the full size images if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/a/86Rdn

Front and right side

post-169952-0-31935600-1508388578_thumb.jpg

post-169952-0-01572600-1508388579_thumb.jpg

For $55, you did just fine. Unfortunately, the 7th Division didn't produce much in the way of unit histories, so researching it is going to be pretty tough.

You should Contact the 7th Division Museum

Fort Ord Cal

AEF1917 is right, there is not much material relating to the 7th DIUS in WWI ( which btw saw little action in France)

I only know one book relating to the 7th

History of the Seventh Division 1917-1919 ( published in 1927)

Compiled by Captain Edgar Tremlett Fell rump't G2 7th Div

Unfortunately... no roster of the division is included

Teufelhund

vfkrk9.jpg

I only know one book relating to the 7th

History of the Seventh Division 1917-1919 ( published in 1927)

Compiled by Captain Edgar Tremlett Fell rump't G2 7th Div

Unfortunately... no roster of the division is included

That's a bit disappointing to hear that there aren't any rosters in the book. I did come across a scan of it from the University of Michigan so I may still give it a read!

One thing can be noticed about the 7th Division..;

The 7th was one of to first AEF Infantry Divisions that received the 1918 BAR.

Bar magazines were digged up in the sector occupied by the 7th

American divisions deployed to France after July 1, 1918 (including the 6th, 7th, 8th, 29th, 36th and 79th) carried the BAR with them. Incredibly, upon their arrival in France, most of these divisions had their BARs replaced with .30-cal. M1918 Chauchats, by order of Gen. John J. “Blackjack” Pershing. The first recorded use of the BAR was with the 79th Infantry Division, and that was not until Sept. 22, 1918, during the beginning of the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Just three other divisions would carry the BAR before the end of World War I.