• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hi, All! thought I'd post this. This is a 1922 Polar Bear Reunion medal that came from the estate of Pvt. Glenn Penabaker, who served as a cook with the 310th Engineers. He never filled his paper out for the top of the medal, so a fellow forum member was kind enough to type out the proper inscription on a nice piece of paper, so that I could slip it in and make it look authentic! 

If anyone has anything from Mr. Penabaker, I'd love to see photos! Send me a PM! 

Penabaker Medal.JPG

#2 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

A really neat reunion badge.  As it comes to the name frame, I have a VFW reunion badge that has the man's name hand written in ink and mis-spelled.  Sometimes these names were filled out in advance so the veteran just had to pick his up off the table.  I wonder what my guy thought when he found his badge with the mis-spelling?

I bet he wore it for the convention anyway as he kept it for many years thereafter.

#3 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:55 AM

There was another reunion medal from the same vet, and I did see a photo of it. It also had his name and reg't written on the paper. 

Here is a photo. I know it was sold recently, but would love to meet up with whoever bought it! I've got some info to share about Mr. Penabaker. Really cool to be able to see the pics, though! This medal below looks like a pinback button on a ribbon. ;)

Reunion medals.jpg

#4 mike kelso

mike kelso
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 74,394
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:45 AM

PM sent

#5 GWS

GWS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,137
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:23 AM

Very cool badge! If you already haven't been there, check the Polar Bears Website at the Univ. of Mich., Bentley Historical Library. Lots of info and an online photo collection.

Pvt. G.L.Penabaker is listed on the roster of Co. C. 310th Engrs.

https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/polaread/

Thanks for posting this!

Edited by GWS, 04 November 2017 - 07:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)