POST-WWII Uniform with Blank Armored Division Patch

WWII Legacy Girl

WWII Legacy Girl

Hi,

I have an Army "Ike" jacket uniform that is dated 1949 and the unit patch on the shoulder look exactly like the photo I attached. I is an armored division but with no number - it is blank. Does that mean he wasn't assigned to a division yet? Would you just say that is is a "blank armored division patch?

Thanks!!

post-162312-0-86077900-1476136621.jpg

The "blank" armored forces patch was worn by GIs assigned to a separate tank battalion. Very, very few of the WW II separate WW II tank battalions wore patches with numbers on them; same with post war. However, many WW II GIs wore blank armored forces patches to which numbers were added, which is a collector's minefield.

If you look inside the wearer's right inside pocket, you will see a manufacture's date.

WWII Legacy Girl

The "blank" armored forces patch was worn by GIs assigned to a separate tank battalion. Very, very few of the WW II separate WW II tank battalions wore patches with numbers on them; same with post war. However, many WW II GIs wore blank armored forces patches to which numbers were added, which is a collector's minefield.

If you look inside the wearer's right inside pocket, you will see a manufacture's date.

Thanks!!!

Does not having the number make it worth more or less? What do you mean my "collectors minefield"? I'm still a rookie in the men's uniform world : )

If you collect patches, then you need an armor forces patch. Those battalions with government contracted numbers are wort a little more, but we are talking less than $5.00 difference.

Most collectors are not familiar with hand or machine added numbers done either by the GI or a tailor/seamstress.

You might want to familiarize yourself with the pinned thread at the top of this page titles "Armored Triangles: Real vs Made for Collectors".

A 1949 dated IKE right with the blank Armored patch, then there's a good chance this guy was assigned to the Fort Knox Armor Center in the 50s, BEFORE the Armor Tabs were worn under these patches.

A mid to late 50s example, note the TAB under the patch.

post-104907-0-10010700-1353979463.jpg

By the early 1950s these blank Armored patches were seldom worn anymore as a shoulder patch outside of those personal at the Fort Knox Tank or Armor School, these used to be worn as standard in the WWII Separate Tank Battalions, by the 50s Tank Battalions wore the Division shoulder patch their Tank Battalion was assigned to, the blank Armored patch if worn was worn on the chest of the fatiques or Tanker Jackets, along with high numbered ones now.

The type with high non divisional numbers embroidered on the Yellow, would be for the afore mentioned Tank Battalions (Separate) of the WWII period, and as tredhed stated they are both rare, and faked (Collector's Mine Field). Yes the majority of vets of these units after VE-VJ Day simply wore the blank Armored patch, or if in the ETO where their Battalion fought a long time attached to it, then an Infantry Division patch, Inf Div's like the 1st Div, or 3rd Div, 36th Div, 80th Div you know the real heavy combat seeing ones.

Check this for a better overview of numbered Armored patches worn on the chest in the the Second World War as well 50s-60s, you'll also see a few blank ones worn on the chest too.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18511-armored-patches-worn-on-chest/page-2