• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 derrbrad

derrbrad
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,932
  • 210 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

Is there a way to date a sling based on the inspectors initials? I've never tried to do this and am curious. Its a RIA leather sling with initials WTG under the RIA mark and EFS (I think) by the button end. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 evets

evets
  • Members
    • Member ID: 154,542
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

Great question!

BTW, is it a Model 1887, 1901, 1903, 1905, 1906, or 1907 sling? I'd start with that and then figure out the markings by narrowing it down to a specific time period/era.

J. C. Harrison's book on the M-1903 rifle doesn't list a "EFS," but lists a "JES" for RIA from 1918 and a "WJS" for RIA from 1908. But, those are for rifle acceptance marks so I dunno if they would have also been used for sling acceptance marks.

#3 derrbrad

derrbrad
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,932
  • 210 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 05:45 PM

It's an 1887. I looked at multiple places and found the same name and initials as Harrison. But the few people who would even venture a guess said they felt that the leather goods inspectors were probably not the same as the weapon inspectors. I hope somewhere out there is a list, but has not or might not ever come to light. Maybe a case of not enough people wanting to know. Or maybe just the names have been lost to time.

#4 illinigander

illinigander
  • Members
    • Member ID: 168,596
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

I am looking at this very much later but, Several years ago I received a leather inspector list from the recently retired RIA Museum director.  It is typed and about 15 pages.  It  is titled: Rock Island Arsenal Manufactured Leather Goods In the Collection of the RIA Museum.  In this inventory not all the leather inspectors are identified.

Illinigander, Ken 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users