POWDER HORNS & BULLET MOLD

Hello

what are your thoughts on these Rev - Pre- civil war?

there is some engraving on the large horn

No markings on the mini ball mold

thank you for your time

Tony

post-4925-0-32122200-1443362851.jpg

Horns are always hard to date, but in general I believe the general thought is that butts that are nailed in are later, probably post Revolution. But again, that's the general line of thought but there are so many variations. I have seen and have a few similar that date 1790-1820

Great horns-- especially the larger one with the engraving.

I'd call these 19th century.

Remember that hunters continued to use single shot percussion weapons into the 20th century (some folks use them today).

As a dealer in antique images, I have encountered photographic evidence of this type of horn being used very late into the 19th century. Of course those hunters could have been using an earlier made horn, but I wouldn't cut these off as pre- Civil War.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

While doing research for a project, I read that powder horns were sold loaded with powder in the trading post to hunters/trappers and Native Americans. They display very nicely with a muzzle loading rifle.

BKW

i have to agree with scott, i have a good collection of these and this could date over a long range of time anywhere from the Rev period right up to the 1880s. This is a nice little set and i love the engraving !!