Korean War era Flight Jacket 67th Fighter Squadron USAF

ludwigh1980

vintageproductions

Looks like a civilian fashion jacket from one of the remake companies.

The zipper being straight up and down and centered is the first hint, as all issue B-15's have an offset zipper.

The squadron patch looks like of Andrew Butler's remakes that appear on these type jackets.

I agree that this is probably a civilian lookalike. The "Approved by USAF" type label would have been a good sales pitch. As Bob says, the zipper should be off-set and the wool knit colour is all wrong. Also, issue B-15s have short vertical seams on each side at the back...see drawing below. Your example appears not to have those.

post-8022-0-79788000-1442572693.jpg

So. its a complete modern replica. Wow. The oil cloth size tag in the pocket looked like a period piece. I figured that it was 1950's civilian piece that was pressed into Korean War service. If the patches are replica's than that's a problem. Its unfortunate as the name on the tape is to a real person and a vet that passed away in the 1990's.

How disappointing. I purchased this from a friend and a forum member as being legit.

Thank you for the insight,

Regards,

Terry

I was thinking the same on the patch being one of Butlers.

With the lable were they trying to go with an Australian made item using the term "approved"

Everything stated above is correct. The patch is a later repro and not WW2 or Korean War era vintage. Sorry to hear it was sold as a Korean period patch/jacket. Hopefully you can work it out with the seller.

JD

That's not to say that the vet couldn't have bought it as a private purchase jacket and worn it to reunions etc?

Ian brings up a good point. This could definitely be the case. I have seen many "reunion" jackets sold later as the real deal. In most cases family members don't know the difference, so straight from the family isn't always a slam dunk. A person still has to know what they are looking at.

J

Ugh, the forum kiss of doom. Thanks for lifting the fog from my eyes,. It been awhile since I've made a mis-tep. Makes me appreciate those tattered flight jackets I got years ago from the family even more.

Thanks for insight everyone.

Regards,

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

You can see alot from the type label inside of the jacket.

If you start with this ,then you are for 99% right with the jacket.

I've had my mistakes but you learn by the best "THE FORUM" wil set it right