SOS Edged Weapon Finds

SARGE

OK gents... it is that time of year again for show and tell. What edged weapons did you find at the Show of Shows in Louisville?

I did very well at SOS. I picked up a CW period SH&G marked US 1860 Staff & Field Officer sword and an Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company saber along with a few other bits and pieces. I also bought a US M1816 socket bayonet and a M1835 socket bayonet, both complete with the pattern 1839 leather scabbards. It was a very good show for me.

SOS edged weapons.jpeg.JPG

1860 S&F French sword.jpeg.JPG

A&HAC saber.jpeg.JPG

1816 & 1835 Bayonets.jpeg.JPG

Horseclover

Great acquisitions. Is there a maker or retailer mark on the Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company sword? I have seen a few listings for them and they are often pretty ragged. It is nice to see a complete scabbard and the grip looks good.

Cheers

GC

Great acquisitions. Is there a maker or retailer mark on the Ancient & Honorable Artillery Company sword? I have seen a few listings for them and they are often pretty ragged. It is nice to see a complete scabbard and the grip looks good.

Cheers

GC

This is an early A&HAC saber. This one has no maker or retailer markings but has a very nice polished steel blade. It does have the typical light (read that as weak and easily bendable) brass knuckle guard that all these swords seem to have. The leather is pretty dry but I can deal with that after I recover from my walking treck at SOS. The scabbard is in overall nice condition but the mounts are a bit loose and need to be secured.

Here is the thing about this particular sword. I would normally suspect that it is from the 1870s except it may be earlier. Peterson lists the sword as his #43 "Ancient and Honrable Artillery Company Sword, 1870-1890" and says, "...there is a dispute concerning who carried them." Peterson believes them to be enlisted or NCO sabers and I suspect he is probably right. He does not state where he got his dates of service. Having said that... this particular sword has a very old coat of gold paint on all the fittings. This is typical of what one sees from Civil War swords that have been on display in Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) halls.

I am not going to remove the gold paint as it is clearly part of the history of this particular sword. Was it used in the Civil War? Was it donated to the GAR in the 1870-1890 time frame by an Artilleryman who served in the A&HAC during the civil war using another artillery saber? Who knows? Harold Peterson did not seem to know a lot about this saber in the 1960s. This particular saber was clearly a bit different and that is why I picked it up.

A&HAC saber.jpeg.JPG

A&HAC saber hilt.jpeg.JPG

A&HAC saber hilt guard.jpeg.JPG

A&HAC saber hilt back.jpeg.JPG

Horseclover

The Medicus 32a example as well has an unstopped fuller. That example has an etch for the company and owner but not a maker's mark. The examples i have seen with a makers mark have had a stopped fuller. A lot of them have blades of significant width but I have to wonder if were indeed ever fielded in war.

Cheers

GC

This blade is one reason I date this sword so early. The fact that it is not plated but polished and has the unstopped fullers says early to me. You are right about this one also having a heavy blade. This blade is thick and wide with a flat spine and heavy curve like the US M1840 Artillery Saber.

Charles1966

Nice finds... I suppose that I was being a little tight with the cash this year, however I did have a good time looking at everything... The BBQ was good too.

Patchcollector

Very nice,and everything looks to be in nice shape for their age.Thanks for sharing them.

Nice pickups SICLFDE, my bayo-knuckle does not have a serial number on it. I will try to post a picture of it this weekend.

Was there a lot of other knuckle knives for sale at the show?

Nice pickups SICLFDE, my bayo-knuckle does not have a serial number on it. I will try to post a picture of it this weekend.

Was there a lot of other knuckle knives for sale at the show?

Thanks - would like to see it.

Knucks seem to be slowly disappearing from the shows, at least in the quantities seen before. There were only about 3-4 dealers that had any.

I do not know what constitutes a lot of knuckle knives but there were several different variations to look at. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to shop around much this year but when I did I noticed many. I believe I even noticed the bottom one posted by siclfde but it may have been one that was similar. Good pick ups. Now that I think of it, I did not see Tony this year, he normally stops to chat, hopefully he is doing good.

I do not know what constitutes a lot of knuckle knives but there were several different variations to look at. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to shop around much this year but when I did I noticed many. I believe I even noticed the bottom one posted by siclfde but it may have been one that was similar. Good pick ups. Now that I think of it, I did not see Tony this year, he normally stops to chat, hopefully he is doing good.

I had to cancel the show trip and my tables at National Gun Day Show. My bride of 42 years tripped in the living room and broke her shoulder in 4 places. She had the operation 3 days before the show. Let me tell you I missed being there.

SICLFDE if I was there you wouldn't have the bottom 2 pictured(LOL)

I had to cancel the show trip and my tables at National Gun Day Show. My bride of 42 years tripped in the living room and broke her shoulder in 4 places. She had the operation 3 days before the show. Let me tell you I missed being there.

SICLFDE if I was there you wouldn't have the bottom 2 pictured(LOL)

Hi Tony,

Good to hear from you again. Sorry about the Frau - hope speedy recovery.

Not knowing you weren't there, I was sprinting around the tables Thurs afternoon trying to beat you to the good ones! :)

Cliff

Tony, I add my good wishes for the recovery of your wife. I shattered my right shoulder in 2012 and although I do have reasonable use of the arm I cannot raise it much above head level and even that is painful. The most annoying thing is that they had to add a metal plate and screws right under the skin on the right shoulder. As I am strongly right handed, I can no longer shoot any rifle larger than a .22 as the recoil can rip the skin open over the plate, and I was told that the pain would be "considerable" so I decided not to try. If I "pocket" it in well toward my head I might get away with it, but don't want to take the chance.

post-66-0-75858400-1425944175.jpg