M3 Flak Helmet - with missions

davidwh1

I dont think we see enough of these on the forum so I thought I would share. I have had this M3 for about 8 years. I got it with a small bag of personal items that included his headset and his Hamilton bombing watch. The helmet shows the squadron, missions and one fighter downed.

post-6058-0-19527800-1418676868.jpg

Nice !! very different indeed !!

what was the Hamilton watch you mentioned ??? any pics ?

LB

I am on the road right now - so I am posting a pic from google that is the version of the watch I got with the helmet. It is not the "exact" watch in my collection - but you get the pointpost-6058-0-68825700-1418697224.gif

The more I look at this helmet the more I begin to think it is a commemorative helmet, probably created post-war to honor the flyers service in WWII. The removal of the flocking on the exterior of the shell and the gluing on of ribbons designating three DFC's and four Air Medals, and the missing wing from the front all lead me to think post-war. Generally speaking, but not always, aircrews drew the anti-flak equipment along with their survival gear, etc., from squadron stores prior to the mission and returned it after the mission. The helmets and flak vests, groin armor and such were were not issued to individuals to keep or kept on the aircraft. Of course there are exeptions to every rule. Just one man's opinion.

Larry

• 4 years later...

More of this type of Flak helmets may come to surface? The swastika painted onto it almost in the same location as some that have one on the ear flaps brings to mind why they had swas decals. Some think tht they were put on at aurplus stotes to enhance sales. Maybe this could be a break though to explain that. Nice one of a kind helmet bring home. Thanks for sharing.

PacificGunner

That is an amazing M3 helmet ,I rarely see them with any sort of insignia unless they have the above mentioned swastikas on the ear plates. It looks like there were wings attached under the captain's bars at some point?

PacificGunner

More of this type of Flak helmets may come to surface? The swastika painted onto it almost in the same location as some that have one on the ear flaps brings to mind why they had swas decals. Some think tht they were put on at aurplus stotes to enhance sales. Maybe this could be a break though to explain that. Nice one of a kind helmet bring home. Thanks for sharing.

Whenever I have seen M3 helmets with swastikas applied to them, they are usually in the center of the ear plate. I heard a rumor years ago that the M3s were used in a war film after World War II and the German's were wearing the M3 helmets with swastikas on the ear plates so perhaps they were used by some film company after World War II when they were sold as surplus. Not sure if it was a US made film or from another country, as I have never seen the movie. I have heard stories of collectors obtaining helmets like these as early as the 1960s. Another theory is they could have been applied by post war surplus stores, but who knows? Hopefully someone can come up with a solid answer that has supporting evidence.