Indian Wars Campaign Medal

Bill_Carman

Latest in the Campaign collection is this Indian Wars Medal, No. 333, awarded to William Young.

The medal was approved in January 1905 and authorized for wear in 1907. It was awarded to a variety of campaigns and engagements against the Indian tribes throughout the western states between 1965 and 1891. The medal is very finely detailed, and it has been re-draped with the second style ribbon and has a replacement brooch. The first style ribbon, red with darker red edges, it was replaced with the second style, red with inset black stripes in 1917.

The medal was awarded to Corporal William Young on 18 July 1908, for campaign action against the Apache Indians in Arizona, 1885 and 1886, while serving with Troop I, 6th Cavalry Regiment. Young enlisted 15 May 1885 at Denver, Colorado and was then assigned to Troop I of the 6th Cavalry, he was discharged on 14 May 1890 at Fort Wingate, New Mexico.

Young enlisted again in 28 May 1891, this time assigned to Company D, 14th US Infantry, and stayed with that unit until 11 August 1900. While with the 14th Infantry he saw service in Alaska, and also the Philippines. He also received the Philippine Campaign Medal No. 4425, whereabouts unknown.

Young enlisted again 26 October 1900, this time to the Ordnance Detachment at Rock Island Arsenal, and he remained there until his retirement 27 August 1914. William Young served over 30 years in the Army total. He passed away 3 November 1936, and he is buried at the Soldier's Home National Cemetery in Washington DC.

I've included pictures of the Indian Wars medal along with some of the research from the National Archives.

Thanks for looking

post-140407-0-57666800-1415329850.jpg

post-140407-0-57942600-1415329859.jpg

Very nice medal to a long serving soldier! Congrats!

Just think, in today's Army he would have been thrown out for not advancing in rank during those years of service

Regarding the research and scans, I go through Vonnie Zullo of Horse Soldier Research, [email protected]

She is very familiar with the Archives and knows where and what to look at. Usually items are completed in a week or so and the scans are emailed.

bill

Always thought this a heck of a nice example of good medallic aesthetics (wish they were this good today) and then you top it with great research, a big two thumbs up

from me!!

DakotaDave