Normandy D-Day LCI(L) Navy officer trunk grouping

jguy1986

In remembrance of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings of June 6, 1944, I'd like to share this grouping in my collection. This past December, I attended a local estate auction, no militaria advertised but I know the auctioneer and figured I should check it out anyway. At the same time about an hour away was another auction with a decent amount of WWII USMC items advertised, so I there was a noticeable absence of the people I usually see at these auctions who buy militaria. Luckily, once I managed to pick up the first of three lots at a reasonable price, I did my best and bought the rest of the items available in order to keep it together. Then when discussing the items with the auctioneer, I found out more was coming up in another auction, so two months later, I made the trek and purchased several boxes of paperwork relating to this vet, mostly from his work as a ballistics engineer, but there were a several pieces relating to his WWII service mixed in, so once again, I kept the grouping together to the best of my ability.

Francis M-A-S-C-I-A-N-I-C-A was born Oct. 5, 1918 in Everett, MA and in his youth was a star track & field runner, even being invited to tryouts for the 1940 Olympic Track team, but the outbreak of WWII cancelled his hopes of an Olympic medal. He studied mechanical engineering at Northeastern University, and after graduation, joined the US Naval Reserves, where he graduated from Annapolis Naval Academy in January 1943 and received his commission. He was then assigned to a diesel engineering course at Penn State, where he shared a train ride and boarding room with the future governor of Maine, Edmund Muskie. After completing the course, Mr. M was assigned to sub chaser duty where he served for several weeks in sunny Miami, until the upcoming invasion of Europe changed his future, and he was reassigned to an amphibious training base in September 1943.

By the spring of 1944, Mr. M had been advanced to the rank of Lt (jg) and assigned to the USS LCI(L)-537, which landed troops at Normandy on that infamous day of June 6, 1944. After the LCI(L)-537 was handed over to the British later in 1944, he was reassigned to work at the US Naval Advanced Amphibious Base at Southampton, England as a small boats maintenance and repair officer, and for his meritorious service he received a letter of commendation. For the ride back home in July 1945, Mr. M was attached to LST 519, and in August he advanced to the rank of Lieutenant. After the war, he remained in the Naval Reserve, finally retiring as a Lieutenant Commander, and he worked for over 30 years at the Watertown Arsenal as a ballistics engineer. Sadly, Mr. M passed away Dec. 30, 2011.

There is much more in the grouping, particularly a large amount of paperwork and some smaller personal items. The dress whites were missing all insignia when purchased, but I found the buttons in a bag at the bottom of the trunk. The shoulder boards and ribbons represent his service as of about July 1945, after receiving his letter of commendation but before his promotion to full LT. When I send off for his records, I plan on fully restoring his ribbon bar, as there are pin holes for several other ribbons, but I decided to be conservative in the restoration until I get all information possible. The foul weather parka has a very faded but readable USN contract tag, so it is possible that this was the very jacket he wore on D-Day.

I wish you all the best today, as we remember and honor all those brave individuals who witnessed such a momentous event in history.

-- Jon

post-112103-0-56205400-1402075846.jpg

Here is a small selection of the paper items in the group, including his ID card, LCI(L)-537 shipboard newspapers, original letter of commendation, and Operation Neptune / Bigot file.

post-112103-0-04098100-1402076316.jpg

And finally, a photo of the USS LCI(L)-537 putting her troops on the beaches of Normandy.

post-112103-0-39403800-1402076786.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, gents. I'm truly humbled to be the caretaker of this group, and it's a major highlight of my collection.

Thats a quality group Jon. I am a tad bit jealous. Good job trying to keep it together!

-Jay

Jay, you've got some serious stunners yourself! I was just in the right place at the right time, and determined enough to keep it together. Also, this is just what was left in the house after the family had already gone through it and taken what they wanted. It seems this vet saved almost every scrap of paper he was ever issued, and there's several boxes of that not pictured, so I can only imagine what kind of uniforms and gear the family held onto.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...