Question regarding ARVN Ranger scarf colors

TrenchfootJoe66

TrenchfootJoe66

Does anyone know where I can find info regarding the colors used by the different ARVN Ranger Bn's and Co's. ??

vintageproductions

Not 100% sure, but I would think they would follow the same colors as the tabs the are worn above the BDQ patches

thefallenbuddha

I am not sure of the exact breakdown either, but the color period photos I have seen only show scarfs in maroon to red colors, with a lighter (white or yellow) color trip.

But, it is also fair to note RVN unit color schemes (as with other insignia) often altered, and came in variations. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the colors employed may have been much more diverse.

Just to note on the ranger unit tabs, in case you don't know, Green was I Corps, Red - II Corps, Maroon - III Corps, and Yellow - IV Corps. But, in the later years these were all universally changed to blue.

Also, out of curiosity, why do you ask?

thefallenbuddha

Sorry for the typo in the last post. To clarify, the photos I am speaking of show maroon to red colored scarfs, with "occasional" lighter color trim.

Here are a couple of photos for reference:

bdqdienhanh.jpg

100409_150418_66395742.jpg

post-1506-1209007088.jpg

Also, for what it's worth, Vietnamese Ranger veterans usually wear maroon colored scarfs.

ucchau1.jpg

TrenchfootJoe66

Thanks guys. Im asking because ( and I hesitate to say this ) Im making up a pair of repro ARVN Ranger uniforms. Im using Moore Militarias ARVN cammo set for one and and a " Frankenstein" ERDL shirt I pieced together from scraps. Im using mostly repro insignia but a few original bits mixed in ( tapes etc ).

The uniforms are for a series of Vietnam era Living History programs Im organizing. Im trying to make the best mock ups I can w/ out creating nightmares for future collectors.

Im trying to impress on the folks Im working with that not every kit needs to be super sexy elite unit stuff but the allure is apparently just too much.

Anyway, thanks for the input. Any other cool little details or affectations that come to mind are appreciated.

BTW, anybody know where I can find good repro Viet/French style berets ??

TrenchfootJoe66

The uniforms were dropped off at the Alteration shop on Friday. Having them altered for an appropriate fit. Also making the ARVN style shirt a short sleeved version and adding zippers pen pockets etc. they should look pretty sharp

• 1 year later...

In my Bn, different colors represented different companies. Red was Headquarters Company, and yellow was 4th Company, the one I was assigned to. Another Co. was purple, but I do not recall which company. At least that is my recollection 51 years later. YMMV.