• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:32 AM

I found this interesting WWI pair at a gun show a couple years ago. It consists of Gen. William H. Hay's cardboard DSM box and his Croix de Guerre with 3 palms which was inside the box. I have no idea what happened to the DSM and have not been able to track down any surviving family members. I had the CdeG for quite a while before I noticed it was engraved with his name on one side and 28th Division on the other. Hay was the last wartime CG of the 28th, taking over just before the 2nd phase of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Prior to that he had commanded a brigade of the 92nd. I have found very few engraved GdeG's so didn't even think to look and was pleasantly surprised to find the engraving, which obviously was privately done. As I've been unable to locate the DSM I've always wondered if it might have been buried with the General since it was his higest military award. It's possible that it might have just been lost, the family may still have it or it might be in a collection someplace. I've never seen any data on how many medals are buried with the recipients. I know my great grandfather was buried with his Elk's ring and Knights of Columbus sword. What about medals? It would certainly account for why some cannot be located.

Mark

Attached Images

• DSC02468.JPG
  • DSC02470.JPG

#2 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:34 AM

Here is the best shot I can get of the CdeG engraving for Gen. Hay's medal.

Attached Images

• DSC02471.JPG

#3 Gil Sanow

Gil Sanow

Forum Subject Advisor

• FORUM SUBJECT ADVISOR
    • Member ID: 528
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

From the "Madamoiselle from Armentiers"
'The general got the croix de guerre, but the son of a gun was never there!'

SORRY -- when I saw this, I could not resist!

G

#4 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

...And this son of a gun got three Gil !!!

#5 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 7,509 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

I like the box! You don't see a cardboard WW1 DSM box too often.
Kurt

#6 USMCR79

USMCR79
  • Members
    • Member ID: 248
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:57 AM

Very nice!!

Bill

#7 ItemCo16527

ItemCo16527
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,275
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

That Croix de Guerre is beautiful! Not only is it in mint condition, but it's engraved as well? I've never seen one engraved before. Thank you for posting it! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#8 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users