Unknown Wing Can You ID? SVN Cadet wing

tigerfan

post-2609-1205280014.jpg

This wing is pinback measures 2" and maker marked BALFOUR. It is an interesting half wing design with a star in the center. I believe this was worn as I show it at a 45 degree angle. If it was worn as a normal wing the star would be upside down and wouldn't lay correctly. I have no idea what this is, possibly a cadet wing?, airline related? or ?.

Greetings-

This may be a Vietnamese Air Force Cadet Pilot Wing. VNAF cadets trained in the US during the war. As cadet pilots, they wore a half wing like you have shown. The pilot wing is a full wing with the star in the center. Below are Vietnamese-made versions. I've also seen a half wing version that was made by NS Meyers. I even have a full wing by that company. I've never seen a Balfour version though. Also, I've never seen this wing type created in one piece. Usually, the wing and star are separate pieces applied together. Hope this helps.

-Frank

post-2023-1205359799.gif

post-2023-1205359843.gif

BOB K. RKSS

This design wing may have been used for Vietnam, but the construction (with long Pin back), looks to be from WWII. By 1945, most U.S. made metal back insignia, had Tack backs. Does the pin have a 60* or 90* degree "STOP" (when opened)? Could it have been for some other foreign allied flyers in WWII?

Pinback U.S. wings continued to be made long after WWII. These could easily date from the Vietnam War period. Granted, clutch-backs were much more popular, but it took years before the old pin back was completely replaced.

The pin on this opens just under 90 degrees. I did get this with WWII and Korean era insignia but nothing that would give a clue as to what this is. I have fairly good ref. on American and foreign wings but can't find this one. Although the Vietnam cadet wing is shown in my ref., it doesn't show a variation like this with the wing upswept at a 2 o'clock position.

BOB K. RKSS
Pinback U.S. wings continued to be made long after WWII. These could easily date from the Vietnam War period. Granted, clutch-backs were much more popular, but it took years before the old pin back was completely replaced.

think.gif Don't think that's true: Long Pin-Backs cost more to make, & were more difficult to mount strait on uniforms; than Tack-Backs. While, Long Pin-Backs (of some badges, & medals) were issued right up through Vietnam War; it was because they were over produced during WWII, & were in Depot storage; so the Military continued to issue, until stocks were exhausted.

BOB K. RKSS
The pin on this opens just under 90 degrees. I did get this with WWII and Korean era insignia but nothing that would give a clue as to what this is. I have fairly good ref. on American and foreign wings but can't find this one. Although the Vietnam cadet wing is shown in my ref., it doesn't show a variation like this with the wing upswept at a 2 o'clock position.

Pin "stop" indicates that Your wing was made during WWII period. thumbsup.gif

vintageproductions

Maybe you are all looking at this to hard. It is definately a South Vietnamese Air Force cadet wing. One that was worn during training here in the US. The reason I think some are confused is the photo is showing the wing at an angle. The true way to wear this wing is straight across with the tip of the star running equal to the top of the wing. These were made by numerous companies in the US along with local made sandcast variants in Vietnam.

Frank and Gil are both correct in the above post. The only military wings that I personally collect are South Vietnamese air force wings and have numerous variants of this wing. Now France did wear a similar wing as did a South American country, all in the late 60's. But, the above is a definate ARVN wing.

post-2609-1205541645.jpg

Ok. Here is a photo of this wing as it would be worn "straight across". Notice the star does not "run equal to the wing". I still believe it is worn as I have shown it in the first photo. This is the only way the star points up. Not to say it isn't an ARVN wing.

Maybe you are all looking at this to hard. It is definately a South Vietnamese Air Force cadet wing. One that was worn during training here in the US. The reason I think some are confused is the photo is showing the wing at an angle. The true way to wear this wing is straight across with the tip of the star running equal to the top of the wing. These were made by numerous companies in the US along with local made sandcast variants in Vietnam.

Frank and Gil are both correct in the above post. The only military wings that I personally collect are South Vietnamese air force wings and have numerous variants of this wing. Now France did wear a similar wing as did a South American country, all in the late 60's. But, the above is a definate ARVN wing.

This can't be worn "straight across with the tip of the star running equal to the top of the wing". Photo posted below will show what this will look like if worn straight across.

I believe the "wing" is a VNAF Aviation Cadet Cap Badge (or maybe more appropriately an “indicator of rank”) for wear on the left side of a flight cap where VNAF and USAF Officers wore their rank. It’s worn at a 45 degree angle as shown in the first picture.

I have an identical piece (without the hallmark) in my collection, and like the one shown, it is pin back and made to be worn at an angle.

I also have several VNAF Aviation Cadet Wings in my collection. All are clutch back, have wide stubby wings, and the top point of the star points to 12 o'clock when the badge is worn horizontally.